Chapter 10

Thanks for all the love so far! Keep motivating me to post sooner ;)

------------------

Chapter 10

Shisui shifted so he was facing Sakura completely and stared at her for a long moment before speaking.

"Are you sure you want to know this story? You'll have to keep all of it to yourself because most of it is considered clan business."

She nodded fervently, settling further in her spot. Sasuke pulled out a blanket and covered her carefully. Shisui gave Sasuke a calculating look when the younger male sat next to her, stealing some of her chicken.

Itachi laughed loudly before speaking, "We are on a mission so act like it. You two can fight when we get back to Konoha."

Shisui smirked while Sakura raised a brow at Itachi. He shook his head slightly and chuckled. Shisui poked at the fire a few times and then began his story.

"When I was younger and Danzo was on the council, a lot of issues arose between the Uchiha clan and Konoha. We were not trusted because of the attack with the Kyuubi and the clan was relocated to an...undesirable spot that was settled away from the center of village life."

Sakura pulled Sasuke's head in her lap and started playing with his hair as the story continued. She almost stopped when Shisui's eyes narrowed but then didn't when she remembered the way he had spoken to her previously.

He was a jerk earlier and I do this whenever Sasuke lets me. He'll have to get over it.

She raised a brow challengingly but then blushed when he smirked. Sasuke cleared his throat loudly and Shisui continued.

"This caused a lot of tension within the clan and they started planning a coup d'etat. It was a very tough time for our people because half wanted the coup and half wanted peace. Both Itachi and I were on the side of peace unbeknownst to anyone but each other. The Hokage at the time had Itachi playing double agent and the clan asked me to spy on Itachi when they became suspicious of his loyalty.

Itachi and I share everything so we knew about their plan from the beginning. Long story short, Danzo was furious when we came up with a plan to stop the coup and went after my eyes," Sakura bristled at this piece of information and glared at the unconscious man in the back of the cave.

"When he failed to stop our plan he went after my family instead," Shisui looked away from the group and Itachi shifted uncomfortably.

"I was away on a mission when they were killed but I'm the one who found them. I immediately went after Danzo but the Hokage and Itachi found me before I could find him."

The cave grew quiet and Sasuke sat up to look at his older cousin forcing Sakura to release his hair.

"This is the first time I've heard the whole story. I won't tell anyone if he...dies...on this mission."

Sakura smacked him as he finished his statement and retorted, "It isn't that simple and you know it. If he gets the death penalty the Hokage might give him the job anyway. Until then, we will complete our mission properly."

Itachi looked at her approvingly. "Sakura-san is right, Otouto. You should know better than to let your feelings cloud your judgement. Should you two communicate with the Hokage about our success?"

Shisui stood up at his question, giving Sakura an expectant look. She rose and followed him out of the cave into a clearing. They both performed the proper hand seals and appeared as images in the Hokage's office.