Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Sakura awoke midday with a note taped to her face. She peeled it off her forehead with a grimace and read it with one eye open.

Sakura,

We still have training to do.
Meet me at training ground
three, near the river.

~Shisui

Sakura stretched and rolled out of her bed. At least he put me in my bed this time. I should mentally prepare to get my butt thoroughly kicked today. There is no doubt in my mind that he is about to be a pain in the rear after our last mission.

She pulled on a tight red tank-top that complimented her bust and a pair of black spandex shorts. Her short hair still wouldn't fit into a ponytail and she sighed as she fixed her forehead protector.

I'll use a few bobby pins to pull my bangs away from my face! Once she was sure Ino would approve of her hair, she ran out the door and ran straight into Itachi, knocking them both down.

"Oh, crap! I'm so sorry, Itachi! Are you alright? I'm such a klutz!" Sakura picked him up with her superhuman strength and started dusting off his clothing. He quickly stopped her as she tried to brush off his pants, both wrists being snagged by his nimble fingers.

"Sakura, I'm fine. Be more careful next time and don't ever manhandle me like that again."

She laughed so hard at his appalled face that she got a stitch in her side and passerbyers stared at her in concern.

"Sorry, sorry, I just get carried away sometimes! What brings you here?" Itachi glared at her as she wiped away tears from her eyes and patted his black ANBU pants clean.

"Shisui and I just finished training, he sent me to wake you up if you weren't already on your way. I must warn you, something has him in a mood and he is being quite brutal." She flinched and thanked him for the warning.

"Do you know what made him so... upset?" Itachi glanced at her from the side of his eyes as both of them started walking.

"He spoke with me but... I don't think he told me everything. Once he figures out what he needs to know, he'll share more. However, it isn't my dilemma to share. Sorry, pinky." Sakura huffed at the nickname and swatted his arm. Itachi laughed good naturedly and the two went their separate ways.

Sakura took to the rooftops and sped through the village. She waved and smiled at many of the ninjas who recognized her and was joined by Kakashi.

"Good afternoon, Sakura, I didn't think you would be awake before dinner time," he chuckled as she shot him a glare.

"I should never tell you my stories, Kakashi-sensei, you get too much fun out of them!" He shot her an innocent look.

"Who, me? I would never! How dare you insinuate that I laugh at your misadventures when it comes to drinking." He winked and then turned towards the Hokage tower. She smiled at his receding back and continued on.

When she arrived at the training grounds a frown marred her face. Shisui was sitting on a charred log and the training ground was unrecognizable. There was a mile radius that had nothing but burnt ground and nubs for trees and steam was rising from the slightly lower river. She stared at the man in front of her with weary eyes, the tomoe of his Sharingan spun widely and she tensed.

She met his gaze apprehensively. "Taichou, what will we be training on today?" He tilted his head to the side but made no indication that the spar was going to start.

She slowly walked towards him and sat on a log a distance away, just in case. She had to look up to see him and it was clear he was struggling internally. She opened her mouth to speak again but snapped it shut when he leaned forward and covered his face with his hands. When he finally looked up again, his eyes and face were completely devoid of any emotions.