Chapter 19

Chapter 19

"Now what?" Sakura's question made Tsunade roll her eyes in slight annoyance.

"Sakura, you know damn well that all we can do is wait, and for the record, I won't let him get his grimy hands on you," she glared out the window as she spoke and Sakura smiled. She turned to leave and almost ran straight into Itachi, again.

"Can you please not appear right behind me? You weren't too happy with the results last time." He didn't say a word but his eyes zoned in on the bruise on her upper arm. She narrowed her eyes as he stepped around her to talk with the Hokage.

"Itachi, do you know why Yamanaka-san was acting so subdued when he released me from the cell?" Tsunade snickered as Itachi shot her a glance from the corner of his eye. She rolled her eyes when he smirked before walking out of the office.

Ugh, as if Shisui isn't already protective enough! I didn't think Itachi would be the same way towards me... well, maybe it's more for Shisui than it is for myself.

"SAKURA-CHAAAAN!"

Sakura looked up just in time to be engulfed in a bear hug by Naruto. She smiled fondly as he put her down and noticed Hinata standing behind him.

"Good evening Naruto, Hinata-chan. What are you two up to?"

They blushed at the question and Sakura smiled knowingly. Naruto gently took Hinata's hand and pulled her closer.

"Sakura-chan, we've finally made it official, and I wanted to tell you in person! Hinata-chan is my girlfriend now!" Sakura squealed and hugged them.

"It's about time, Baka! She's been waiting on you for forever!" Hinata giggled and nodded her agreement.

"Well, you two have a nice night, Naruto, you better act like a gentleman or I'll kick your ass.".

Sakura made her way to the Hokage monument and sat down to enjoy a quiet sunset. She heard a noise and whipped around to see who or what was behind her. Gaara gave her an odd look and she let out a nervous giggle.

"Sorry Gaara-san, I guess I've just been on edge lately." He nodded and sat next to her. She stiffened minutely, feeling eyes lock onto them and was certain Gaara felt it, too.

"How is Suna doing? It's been awhile since I visited."

"Yes, it has been too long since you graced us with your company. We are doing well; however, I am very worried about the Akatsuki and their plans. I don't like being away so long."

"If anything happens, Konoha will be right beside you to protect your village." She leaned back onto her elbows and closed her eyes, enjoying the sun on her skin. She now felt two pairs of eyes on her but once again chose to ignore it.

"I heard you have joined ANBU. I wouldn't have thought you would." She peaked an eye open at the unstated question, meeting his gaze.

"I joined because I was needed. Why can you not see me joining?" He turned back towards the sun and pulled a knee up to rest his arm on.

"You're kind, Sakura. Too kind for a shinobi. I just don't see you doing the dirty jobs nor do I see Tsunade asking you to do them."

"Hmmm, I've been told that before. You are right about that. I won't do the dirty jobs and Tsunade wouldn't ask me to unless it was absolutely necessary. I'm more of a team player in this operation, healing and data collecting are my main priorities." She ran her hand through her hair and fidgeted as the feeling of being watched intensified.

It was quiet for a few moments before Gaara said something that made her blush deeply. "You and the Uchiha are together."

It wasn't a question but she felt the need to nod in agreement. He stared into her eyes for a long moment and then turned his head to look behind them. Her mouth popped open in astonishment at his next statement.