Chapter 23

Sakura glanced at Shisui for a split second before approaching Shizune. "I was summoned?" Sakura winced at how angry she sounded. She would have to remember not to take her frustrations out on the people around her.

"Yeah. This body has so many secrets and I need your critical mind to help me with a few theories I have." Shizune pulled her hands out of the body and gave Sakura a wink. The mask covering her face had blood splattered across it as if she had been slapped.

"Why are you just calling for me now? Haven't you already had a week to examine the body?" Sakura washed her hands thoroughly before pulling on some latex gloves after dawning a protective lab coat. Shizune sighed and went to wash up. She spoke quietly while she washed the blood off her forearms.

"I may have had the body for a week but it took a lot of work just to stop it from decaying. You were right in your assumption that there was some sort of self-destructing agent inside of her. So, I had to take her out and take samples from her to test; then seal her back up again. It took me four days just to figure out how to stop it. Not to mention, I had to do all this while still trying to do a few rounds in the hospital since we were short handed. Today is the first day I have actually been able to do any testing."

At this, Sakura blushed. "I'm sorry. Lady Tsunade wouldn't let me work on anything until today. She was adamant that I get rest." She glanced at Shisui again and flushed a darker color when she noticed his eyes roaming over her body. When his eyes met hers she physically turned her body so that her back was to him.

"That was to be expected. You pushed yourself really hard and your body needed to recover," she turned to look at Sakura as she dried her hands off.

"Unlike everyone else, I am not going to scold you for your actions Sakura. You rarely ever get in that condition because you are normally careful. It may have been dangerous but I know for a fact that any other Shinobi in Konoha has come back worse than that because they were foolish about their health."

As she spoke, she glared at Shisui, daring him to argue with her. Sakura giggled slightly but fell quiet when she felt eyes burning into her back.

"Thank you, Shizune, that means a lot. What have you found out about the subject so far?"

--

Sakura sighed as she once again glanced at the notes her and Shizune had come up with. Shizune had left about thirty minutes ago after discussing all that she had found so far and her theories.

I guess I'll just pick up where Shizune left off. This task is important to the village and it may help us defeat Orochimaru. Luckily for us, the bastard seems to have gone into hiding since pissing off his cohorts.

She started to examine the digestive organs of the subject while trying to ignore the urge to look at Shisui.

Hmmm, her small and large intestines seem to be missing all the normal bacteria that would be in a person. Not to mention that her stomach seems to be distorted. The size, coloration, and contents are all strange too.

Her pencil scribbled faster as she noted important details about the subject. She started measuring all the organs and weighing them. She glanced over at Shisui once she was done and was surprised to see him intently watching her. She cleared her throat and started putting dots of blood on petri dishes.

"I haven't seen you in a while. It's good to know that you're alive," she glanced at him between droplets but completely faced him when he sighed and closed his eyes.

"You should test those samples while they're still fresh," he opened his eyes and then closed them again when he realized she was still staring at him.

"So, we're not going to talk about how you just disappeared and haven't talked to me since biting my head off?" Sakura's eyebrow started to twitch when he took a deep breath.