Chapter 35 - Theatrics

"It's happening again," I murmured to no one in particular, but it looks like Chiaki heard me.

"What's happening again?" she cheekily asked me, flipping her long walnut hair over her shoulder. Needless to say, Chiaki Matsushita was one of the prettiest girls in our grade. She may be overshadowed by Kushida and Ichinose in terms of popularity, but her figure and proportions were absolutely top-notch. I've heard that many students from across classes have a crush on Chiaki. Focus, Keisuke. Focus.

"Sudo is paired along with Suzuki and Nomura, the 2 weaklings from Class C. On the other hand, Horikita is paired alongside Kinoshita-san and Yajima-san from the track and field club. I'm also paired again with Ryuuen and Albert."

"Huh, you're in the same group as Ryuuen again?" she asked, genuinely baffled. "That's like, the 3rd time now, right?"

It was true. In the 100m sprint, I was paired alongside Ryuuen. In the Obstacle Course Race that just I just finished, I was also paired with Ryuuen. I came in 2nd place this time, mostly because my shoe laces were untied, and I almost tripped on the balance beam because of that. But that was not the point.

"Do you think....."

"Yes," I answered in the affirmative. "I think our participation sheet was somehow leaked to Class C. I'm surprised that someone is trying to betray the class." I, of course, cannot mention to Chiaki that I already have my eyes on Kushida as a prime suspect. She's still seen as an angel in the class, and I don't want to hurl any false accusations on her, in the slim possibility that I was wrong about her.

"Do you have anyone in mind?" Chiaki asked me.

"Nope, no one comes to my mind right now. But I'll find out soon enough."

"Right. Looks like it's my turn! Cheer for me, okay~" And with a cute wave, she trotted along the ground to the start line.

"T-Takeyama-kun?" I heard a timid voice behind me, and I turned to see Mori Nene from my class, nervously calling out to me.

"Yeah?"

"I'm sorry f-for asking but..... what's the r-relation between you and C-Chiaki-chan?" she fidgeted with the fingers on her hand. I sighed.

"We're just friends, that's all. We're not dating or anything," I confirmed the real question I knew she wanted to ask.

"O-Oh, okay!" Mori-san was visibly flustered when I easily revealed that I knew her true intentions of asking. "I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable, Takeyama-kun!" Saying so, she dashed back to her group of girls, and most possibly relayed her newfound information to her accomplices, who seemed to nod and sneak glances in my direction.

I turned back to the race. Chiaki was placed 3rd in the obstacle course, which was a good position. She jogged and smiled at me as she made her way back.

Horikita's race was up next. She was again pitted against Yajima-san and Kinoshita-san.

The race was a close one. Yajima and Kinoshita, being from the track and field club, knew what they were doing, and crossed the balance beam with ease. But Horikita was not one to lose out, and the 3 of them were neck to neck throughout the race.

Kinoshita fumbled during the sack race — where you basically put both your legs inside a sack and hop like a rabbit. Horikita took the lead on Kinoshita during this time, and tried to close the distance between herself and Yajima.

There was only 50m remaining, and they were now sprinting the last stretch. Horikita must've slowed down, since she was constantly flicking her eyes back at Kinoshita, to see whether she had caught up or not. Eventually, there being only 20m left, Kinoshita and Horikita were side-by-side, and were caught up in a tumble.