Chapter 10

Valentina Gracia

Five years back I was nothing more than a woman who cheated on her husband and whose own father kicked her out. Trust and loyalty mean the most in the Mafia world and people doubting me regarding that despite giving my twenty-one years of life into this world was the most disappointing thing.

But it's fine I guess. I accept everything that is thrown at me because I rebuilt myself with the same words. This time they won't hurt me like they did the last time. I didn't choose for all that to happen to me I'm the person who chose what I am now.

Many whispers were going around me but I just chuckle to myself while taking a sip of my wine. To be honest it's actually quite sad how they talk about me so that they won't be talked about. They gossip about me is so that they feel better about themselves.

I ignore them and cross my legs over each other taking another sip of my wine. My eyes search for that one person whom I definitely am not keen to meet today. I heard shuffling beside me making me wonder who was so brave to sit beside me yet I ignored it searching for him.

"Lui non è qui." [He's not here] I heard a deep voice beside me making me immediately glance up. "Ciao bella." [Hello beautiful] Matteo smiles at me. I had to hold in my emotions because damn I missed him, so much. He was my fucking best friend.

"Matt," I whisper and stand up wrapping my arms around him. He hugs me back with equal force. "Mi sei mancata." [I missed you] I mutter while closing my eyes.

"I missed you too bella." He whispers tightening his hold on me.

I tap his arm trying to let myself free "You're choking me asshole." I say pushing him away slightly.

"Kinky." He smirks making me slap his arm with a small chuckle.

"Is Amelie here? What about Sergio?" I ask with excitement in my voice.

"They are with Mr and Mrs D'amelio." He says making me pause I knew they were here but I'm suddenly nervous to meet them. "Bella you know that they'll always love you right? Stop panicking." Matteo says softly and I nod.

"Where's he?" I ask looking away from Matteo.

"Last time I saw him with Juana and the new second command. "È stato una figa tutto il giorno." [He's being a pussy the whole day.] he mutters the last part lowly but still, I catch it. I don't reply to that because I don't know how to. "How are you?" He asks after a long pause.

"I don't have an answer for that Matt," I reply. It's quite ridiculous how I don't even know how I feel, it's been a long time since I even thought about my emotions or feelings.

And coming to Matteo he was the 'I'll kill you if you even if look in my direction" type person when I first met him. He hated my guts when I came to Italy we often argued like five years olds. It was so damn immature but it was fun too, I loved annoying him and his best friend. He pretty much thought I was a gold digger until I saved his ass one day. It took me getting hit by a bullet for gaining his trust.

I still have that scar on my back for him and he has one on his when he saved me another day. Those scars were pretty much the symbol of our friendship. Friends usually get matching tattoos and bracelets but in our world, we get matching gunshot wounds. Fun.

I didn't know why but he was very much protective over Lorenzo at the beginning, he never told me anything and not that I asked anything. I didn't want to pry into his life while hiding my own. It would be quite unfair on him.

"I'm sorry." Matteo's voice breaks me out of my trance. I look at him with a confused expression and he sighs taking my hands in his. "I should have been there for you Bella-"

"You didn't do anything Matt, I was the one who left without looking back," I say as I cut him off. "It was my decision matt, I should have at least contacted you-"

"We're not playing this blame game now Bella, I'm just glad that you're here now." He smiles and I smile back.

"Me too."

He looks hesitant about something making me raise my eyebrow. He shuffles uncomfortably and fidgets with my hand making a small amused smile appear on my face. Is he nervous about something?

"I- can I see umm the child?" He asks nervously. I just chuckle and him and nod making him surprised. I'm not going to be a bitch to Matt just because of the shit his best friend did. I quickly open my phone and open the gallery giving it to him.

"They were twins. A boy and a girl. That's Javier and that's Sienna." I point out to the recent pictures I took of them on the day of the competition. He quickly places the phone in my hand and turns his face away. "Hey, is everything okay?" I asked placing a hand on his shoulder when I hear a small sniffle.

"No. I'm just being an emotional asshole." He shrugs making me go soft. "I just remembered us talking about how I was going to spoil the kid and stuff. I really wanted to be there when they arrived you know." He says quietly.

"God stop it asshole you're making me emotional." I slap his back but I meant it. Even I wanted him to be there. A sudden phone ring interrupts me and I glance at my phone to see that it was from Rafael. "Just a minute," I say to Matteo and answer the phone.

"Hablar." [Speak] I say out of habit before realising. Damn, I should at least try to be a little good to my brother's fiancé.

"We're discussing about the agreement Reina. We're in Antonio's office along with the Rey." [King] He informs and I bite my lip anxiously. Fuck I need to face him now.

Not that I give a fuck though.

"Voy a estar allí." [I'll be there] I inform and hang the call. "We need to go," I say to Matteo who also stands up buttoning his black Armani suit. His hazel eyes look into mine as he nods softly and kisses my forehead. His almost 6'4 figure towers me as he rests his hand on my back leading me to the office which he clearly knows too well after all that's where we met first.

All the emotions on his face are gone and a blank look appears on his face which I'm sure resembles mine. Everyone in the ball goes silent again as we walk past through them, some even held their breath in making me smirk inwardly. Did I tell you that I might have ended up shooting a guy in this very hall because he was just beside me?

Well, everyone thought that was the only reason but I don't kill people that easily. Okay, that was a lie, but he was an asshole who broke the omertà and I needed a reason to kill him so I just did it.

"You got this Bella." Matteo's voice breaks through my thoughts as we reach the door.

Taking a deep breath I nod and push the door open. I was greeted by heavy silence and after five years I finally meet the brown eyes which shattered my existence yet are the reason for it. We met again Lorenzo D'amelio.