Chapter 41

Lorenzo D'amelio's P.O.V

It all ends today.

That was the only thought in my head as I gear up for today's attack on Leonid. My eyes find Val's as she straps one of her knife to her boots. She tries to give me a reassuring smile but it comes out more like a wince.

I get it, she is scarred.

Not because of Leonid though, it's because no one knows what's going to happen at the end of the day. Even though Leonid's downfall was written today the possibility of what he is hiding makes everyone curious and confused.

It was also the one thing we couldn't figure out, we don't even have any trace or clue about what Leonid was hiding. And whatever it is I'm sure that it is lethal enough to dent a hole in our perfect plan.

I shake my thoughts away and walk towards Val and stand behind her. One of my hands hold onto her waist and the finds her shaking one with which she was trying to fit another knife.

"I think you have enough weapons Val." I say softly as I remove her grip from the knife and plaster it to my chest instead. "Besides you know an hundred ways to kill a man without these, just believe in yourself." I say and place a small kiss at the curve of her neck where I can see the gold of our couple chain peaking out.

"I hope it goes well." She whispers as she turns around to look at me.

"Me too." I whisper back as I tuck one of her curls behind her ear.

A sound of throat clearing makes me look up at sabine standing at the doorway. "We're all set." She informs us curtly and gestures at the window behind us. "The guys are waiting by the car."

"We'll be there in a five." I nod at her and she nods back as she leaves the room.

Once the door falls shut behind her I wrap my arms around Val and press my head into the crook of her neck. She hugs me back and tucks herself into my chest with a sigh. The wave of possessiveness and the need to protect her fills me so deeply that I find it hard to breathe.

I don't know for how long we stay like that but every second feels like forever. It wasn't until a series of car honks break us apart making me groan. I steal one last kiss from her before we move towards the door and towards our cars.

The ride towards the hideout Leonid is in was filled by revising our plans and checking if we are ready for the d-day.

"I want each and everyone to stay alive, understand?" I ask roughly and everyone nods at me.

I look at the surroundings and I see a pile of dead bodies which means that the people who had connections with Val have done their job perfectly. And it also means that Leonid was stupid enough to fuck someone in there without checking his security system.

"Everyone ready?" I ask and they give me curt nods before stepping out. My eyes connect with val's for one last time before we both join them.

We carefully walk past the bodies and my brows crease together at the metal gates which were open. I pause for a while when I spot one of our informers dead by the gate. My eyes go to Val who just shakes her head in silence.

There were no one in the house which made alarm bells ring off in my mind. I was not sure what to expect, sure most of the guards were already dead but so were our informers. The grip on my gun tightens as we go further into the house. And the fact that it's eerily silent makes a chill run down my spine.

As if Val has the same question running inside her head she turns to me with raised eyebrows. But even I'm not sure what do I need to expect right now. The rest of us were also equally confused judging by the way our steps come to an halt.

Before either one of us opens our mouths the sound of a familiar ticking makes everyone's eyes wide. "What-"

And that's probably the last word to get out of my mouth as a ear splitting blast rings through our ears and pain like nothing ever slashes through my body making black dots cover my vision.

The last image in my mind before everything turned black was the image of Val and our kids cuddled close to me with the biggest smiles on their faces. And somehow even through the pain a small smile creeps on my face before it falters into nothing.