Chapter 23

Valentina Gracia

Nostalgia hits me once we stop in front of the mansion. It was a birthday present for me, I still remember how I was randomly reading a billionaire romance book and then I was gushing to Lorenzo about how cool the main character's secret cabin was. The next thing I knew was we had our own house by the lake just like I always wanted.

Sugar daddy material.

Once we moved in there wasn't a single bad memory, the huge mansion was filled with our laughter and moans; literally.

Except this was the same place he broke me, the same place where one of the worst memories of mine lies. I thought I'd be happy when I see the mansion but I could only remember his words, his distant look, the way I walked out of the mansion on my own in the middle of the night. I was left all alone in the middle of the forest. This was once my home and now it's nothing more than a shelter made out of bricks.

"Mamma." An excited voice cuts me out of my thoughts and I look at my son and daughter ogling at the mansion in front of us. "¿Nos quedamos aquí? " [We're staying here?] Javier asks not breaking his stare from the view. I just hum and pick my daughter up who's too stunned to say anything with another hand extended Javi grabs it and walks with me.

I mean I don't blame them it's their first time seeing a mansion like this when they were supposed to grow here.

"Enzo is this your home?" She asks after a while making me turn towards him.

"No, but it was." He answers looking at me and searching for any sort of emotion in me but I couldn't react I'm pretty sure I had a blank expression on which explains the pain in his eyes as if he's also remembering everything that happened.

It's funny how one bad memory can erase thousands of good ones.

Sienna was too stunned to reply so keeping a blank expression on I take a deep breath and brush past Lorenzo, our shoulders touch each other for a moment emitting sparks over the touched area but my mind is too focused on the pain that the same sparks gave me the last time.

With each step, I take into the household the more rigid my heart got. I try focusing on the good memories but all I remember is my breakdown, how my head hurt from bleeding when he pushed me which now formed a scar on my forehead but it still isn't that bad compared to the one in my heart.

Lifelessly I walk through the hallway and the images of us cuddling with blankets wrapped around us as we watched vampire diaries make a lump form in my throat.

Every corner of this house held predominant memories of us and I immediately regret agreeing for coming here. This shit isn't good for my mental health.

"Mamma that's you," Sienna exclaims looking around the walls and when I glance up the lump grows heavier. The living room was filled with our pictures, as I said this was once our home and I made sure to make it as lively as possible. From planting every plant in the mansion to every stroke on the wall was what we both decorated whenever we got time even if we didn't, we always made some for each other.

I didn't mind sparing another glance at the photos because I know the story behind them even though the journey was beautiful I know how it ended and just for your information I despise sad endings.

"He was my friend sweetie, we'll be staying here for a while," I tell both of my children who nod still looking around the mansion like lost puppies. Speaking of puppies, "Where's Rio?" I wonder out loud.

"With mom and dad." I heard Lorenzo reply. I don't turn back instead nod and start walking upstairs desperately avoiding going in the direction of our previous bedroom.

"I'm taking the room upstairs," I inform as I start climbing the stairs.

"Mamma is there a swimming pool?" Javier asks making me smile slightly, he loved playing with water.

"There is one downstairs and one on the rooftop there's also a lake. We'll go there sometime yeah?" I ask and he jumps in excitement.

"Mamma I'm hungry," Sienna says once we enter our room. Once she sees the massive bedroom she jumps out of my arm and Javi also goes behind her, they both climb on the bed and start jumping while making excited squealing sounds.

"I'll make you something once we get washed up sweetie," I say and close the door behind me. Damn, I just realised we don't have clothes.

Yay shopping time again.

"Do you want to watch something on the tv?" I ask and they both nod. Javi and Sienna start another of their childish fights regarding what they should watch making me sigh. "Javi listen to your sister," I say tiredly.

"You said that the last time too." He pouts.

"Fine, Sienna listen to your brother for once and not a word," I say sternly before getting out of the bedroom.

Getting downstairs I spot Lorenzo wandering near the start of the staircase as if contemplating to climb it or not. "We don't have clothes," I state making his eyes snap to me.

"You have some here." He mumbles gesturing in the direction of our bedroom.

"Get them to mine then," I order around as if I'm not talking to one of the most dangerous men in the world. "The kids also need clothes along with the rest of the members," I say and he nods in understanding.

"I'll tell Matt to get some and we can collect it once we reach the main mansion." He says and I groan internally. I wanted to do some conflicted shopping.

"Can the kids sleep with me for tonight?" He asks nervously.

"It's up to them." I shrug and try not to make it a big deal.

"Well they will be more comfortable if you're with them so-" he starts but I cut him off.

"No. I allowed you to be in their lives Lorenzo but that doesn't mean you can come back into mine as if nothing happened. I told you I'll give you a chance to explain yourself but never talked about a second chance so stop trying." I say in a voice void of any emotion. Just like his was that day. "Bring the clothes up," I mutter before turning around and heading to the kitchen to make something for the kids.

Why do I suddenly feel guilty? Did I perhaps overreact? Fuck why does that defeated look on him is still affecting me?

You did the right thing, Valentina. I tell myself, he deserved that.