it's o'connell.

billie's pov:
"billie king, is it?"

"it's actually o'connell, but my daughters are jordyn and scout king, if that matters." i mumbled. i was on the phone to jordyn and scout's new principal. they're in sophomore year of high school, and the old principal left. something tells me it's the twins' fault...

you might be wondering why the twins' surname is king and mine isn't; kiara's last name is king and when we got married, she adopted my kids. i didn't take her last name but they did. i gave them kiara's last name so that they know that she's every bit of their mother as i am.

i've been getting calls from their school every other day since they stepped foot in the building freshmen year. kiara says it's my fault for being their mother... what does that even mean?! i mean, i guess i acted like that but still!!

"yes, ms. king, your daughter has gotten into a physical fight." the principal announced. he sounds so posh.

"its o'connell, thank you very much. and uh, which one?"

"scout king, sophomore year."

"did she, uh..." i paused to clear my throat. "did she win?"

"not that that's relevant, she is the less damaged one."

"okay." i said plainly. there was silence afterwards. maybe he expected me to freak out or something, i don't know, but no child of mine would start a fight for no reason.

"i am going to have to ask you to come in for a meeting with me. this was a pretty serious fight."

i sighed. "today?"

"if you can, yes. how about at twelve?" he suggested. i checked the time. 11:30. i sighed once again. i already hate him...

"yeah, sure. bye." i grumbled, hanging up the phone

***

"i have an appointment with uh—the principal." i told the secretary of the school.

"mrs. o'connell! of course. he's in his office, waiting." she told me. i nodded, walking towards the principals office and opening the door.

"mrs. king! so nice of you to knock." the principal said and i furrowed my eyebrows. i swear to god if he's got a problem with me i'll fight him...

"it's o'connell i-" i paused when i looked over at my daughter sat in one of the chairs, smirking. "this isn't even scout. this is jordyn." i said, pointing at her.

"oh. she said that her name was scout." the principal replied and i raised an eyebrow, sitting down next to jordyn.

i turned to her subtly, and she looked at me. "i'm gonna fucking kill you." i whispered. she just blinked at me before looking away again.

i cleared my throat looking back at the principal and then to the kid that jordyn fought, and back to jordyn again. "none of them are injured, i don't get it. why are you wasting my time having me here?" i questioned.

"the fight was really bad-"

"you said that my daughter was the less injured one, that kid isn't even hurt!" i began to raise my voice and jordyn stifled back a laugh. i turned to look at her. "fuck is you laughing at?"

"language, ms. king." the principal butted in and i raised my eyebrows.

"language? is this fifth grade? i-" i began before jordyn cut me off.

"i just love you so much, mom." she simpered.

i cracked a small smile. "i love you too," i replied before turning to the principal and pointing at him. "you waste my time again, i'll kill you. you had the audacity to call me in over a stupid fight that harmed nobody? fuck off." i spat and he just stared at me, stunned. i stood up and walked towards the door. "come on, jordyn."

she quickly jumped out of her chair and scurried towards me. i began to walk through the hallways and jordyn furrowed her eyebrows. "where are you-"

"where's scout at?" i asked and she rolled her eyes.

"in english class."

we walked to the english room in pretty much silence, jordyn seemed intimidated by my mood. she very well should be! she could have gotten her sister suspended for a fight that she wasn't even involved in.

***

once me and jordyn got scout from her class, i signed them both out of school and we all walked towards the car in silence.

i unlocked it and we all got in, jordyn and scout being in the back seat. once we were all there, i turned around and stared at them both.

"i didn't even do anything, why are you looking at me?" scout asked and i cleared my throat.

"yeah, jordyn, WHY am i looking at scout?" i questioned, smacking the side of her head. she said nothing. "jordyn got in a fight and said it was you, so that's probably on your permanent record." i told scout. scout turned to jordyn and smacked the side of her head too.

"fucking bitch." scout muttered, crossing her arms.

"i don't know, though. i threatened the principal." i chuckled and scout's face lit up.

"no way! what'd you do, mama?" she probed.

"i said that if he wasted my time again that i'd kill him." i shrugged, turning on the radio.

"hell yeah, it was so funny." jordyn added.

"really? d'you think he'll take it from my record?" scout asked and i shrugged once again.

"who knows? he kept fucking calling me the wrong name, though. i don't think he's very good with names." i chuckled.

"definitely not." jordyn added, sitting back and going on her phone. i started up the car and glanced back at the twins again.

"seatbelts."

"i'm fine, mom." scout said and i furrowed my eyebrows.

"we told her to buckle up!" i quoted and both of the twins sent me looks. "oh come on, y'all don't know that?"

"woman, we're not old like you. shouldn't you be worrying about menopause or something?" scout asked and my jaw dropped.

"you know, i had you guys when i was twenty five! that's so young! be grateful you got a young mom, some people's moms are old as fuck. my pregnancy was way too hectic for y'all to be calling me old!" i replied. i don't know, maybe i should be worrying about menopause...

"mom, we're sixteen. do you know what sixteen plus twenty five is?" scout asked and i glared at her through the mirror.

"don't make fun of my not being able to do math when you're dyslexic, bitch." i grumbled and she started laughing.

"your dumbass... twenty five plus sixteen is your age... forty one." she said and i rolled my eyes once again.

"man, whatever. i shoulda beat your asses growing up, y'all are way too mean to me." i sighed.

"but you didn't, 'cause we were the best thing to ever happen to you." jordyn sang.

"man, you act like i planned to have you." i chuckled, shaking my head.

"mom!"

"you know what, momma is my favorite mom." scout scoffed.

ah yes, mother-daughter bonding.