jailbird junior.

billie's pov:
i glanced at the guard who was standing beside the door, just in case anyone tried to smuggle drugs or what not. he was standing tall, looking straight forward while his hands stayed by his side. i then subconsciously cleared my throat and sat down on a bench at a table.

i fiddled with my fingers anxiously while i looked around at the other people in the room, inmates talking to visitors, probably close family members.

scout, however, only had me. well, she had kiara and jordyn too but i was just here to yell at her. so while i waited for her to come, i thought of things to say.

not long later, my darling daughter scout walked through the door. i stared at her the whole time until she sat down at the table with me. she nodded at me in acknowledgment before shooting me a quick "hey".

i breathed through my nose, glaring at her. "fucking arson?" was all i said before she cracked a smile.

"mom, i pleaded guilty insanity. i'm not even in here for long. three years is all." she chuckled, tugging on one of her curls. i slapped her hand slightly.

"didn't i tell you to stop playing with your hair when you're talking to someone?" i asked and she rolled her eyes. "anyway, yeah, but you were on your meds, scout!" i whisper-yelled.

"they don't know that." she shrugged.

when she was nine years old, scout had to be tested for bipolar disorder. when she was being assessed, the doctor recommended i also got tested. and so at nine and thirty five, we were both diagnosed as bipolar.

i was also diagnosed with borderline personality disorder and ADHD, but that's a story for another day. long story short, the doctor prescribes me a shit ton of medication.

i shook my head, holding it in my hands. "you're fucking seventeen. not even finished school." i groaned. "i'm gonna go gray over you."

"it was coming anyways, old lady." she chuckled and i sent her a look.

"not the time."

she rolled her eyes. "whatever. anyways, how's my favourite mama and my sister?"

i thought about it. kiara's good, but jordyn is... a little shit. she's still better than scout, i guess. "they're fine. jordyn is loving having the room to herself, i think."

"good. tell jordyn to keep her little girlfriend away from my bed, i don't wanna know what they be doing." she grimaced and i chuckled, shaking my head.

"i am NOT having that talk, yikes." i mumbled, furrowing my eyebrows slightly. "anyways, any trouble in prison so far?" i asked.

"nah. it's only been what, a week? i'm getting used to the routine and shit, i've been working out too, actually." she told me and i nodded. "i got called a dyke for that." she chuckled and i raised my eyebrows.

"you beat their ass?" i asked. she shook her head and i sucked my teeth. "i raised you better than this."

"i just laughed, mom! unlike you, i don't resort to violence for everything." she said and i sent her a look.

"you're making it sound like i abused you or some shit, shush."

"you know what i meant. any gifts for me?" she asked.

"no." i said plainly, pressing my lips together. "i'll get you something for your birthday and whatever. you're lucky, you know. when i was in prison, nobody ever visited me. not even your mama. then again, i wasn't seventeen." i told her and she raised her eyebrows.

"what about finneas? or your mom?" she asked and i shrugged.

"finneas swore he was gonna get a restraining order against me and my mom died when i was in here. i wasn't invited to the funeral, either." i sighed.

"wait... why?"

i thought about why i went to prison, remembering everything that i did to my mother.

i looked at scout and smirked before shaking my head. "that's a story for another day."