42. MESSED UP

I dialled the number shown in the chat. I turned the recorder on after putting the phone on speaker. It rung 3 rings before someone picked up.

"Hello?" I heard a female voice in through the phone.

"Uh...Hey. Is this Yuri?" I asked politely.

"Yes. What do you want weirdo." She replied rudely.

"I just wanted to ask if what you said in the group chat was true?" I asked ignoring the rude remark she gave me.

"About what?" She asked cooling down a little.

"About the date you went on with Light and what happened then?" I asked back.

"Oh you mean about the date to space land?" I hummed.

"Yea, There was this really ugly looking fat guy with a gun and weird hair cut. He threatened the bus driver and the space land staff to give him money or he'll kill everyone in the bus. Light made a plan to ambush him since he wanted to protect me~" She said in a very dreamy tone.

'Ugh this girl really needs to understand the severity of the situation.' I groaned inwardly.

"But the guy sitting behind us...ugh what was his name- I can't remember his name but he was an FBI and he said that the plan was stupid and if anything were to happen he'd protect us instead. He showed us his badge to make us believe him...Ugh it's so annoying how I don't remember his name." She seemed to have completely forget that she hated me, since now she was talking to me much nicely.

"I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Are you feeling alright now?" I asked carefully.

"Ugh I'm alright...better than before but...why're you being so nice to me all of a sudden?" She asked.

"It's not sudden. You've just never tried to understand me." I answered bluntly. She stayed speechless for a while before I spoke again.

"Now if it doesn't trigger anything or make you feel unsafe can you try to remember exactly what his name was, this is very important to me. Can you tell me if any of the names I say rings any bells."

"Sure." She answered politely.

'Wow. Did what I said affect her that much?' I wondered.

"Lian?" I asked.

"Nope." She replied.

"Haley?" I was just stalling I can't just go straight to Raye's name she'd be confused about how I know.

"Nothing."

"Freddi?"

"No."

"Knick?"

"No."

"Raye?" I asked.

"Wait- I think his name was Raye Pi-pen-. Oh yea, his name was Raye Penber. Light was there too you can ask him if you don't believe me."

'Bingo!'

"Thanks." I said. I was about to ask her what happened after that before she called out to me at the same time L did.

"Kari." "Tanaka."

"Yea?" I asked.

"Hey Yuri could you hang on to what you wanna say for a minute? This seems urgent." I said and covered the phone microphone and putting the recorder on pause.

"What's up?" I asked calmly.

"Are you keeping information from me?" He asked. It seems by mistake I loosened my grip on the microphone.

"No, why would I keep information from you?" I asked innocently.

"I heard Raye Penber's name just then." It sounded nonchalant like always

"Of course you did. I just said his name." I said.

"What are you saying? I was the one who said his name."

'Yuri Oh Yuri just how annoying can you be?'

"Who's that?" L asked.

"An old classmate. Her name's Yuri." I answered.

"Old classmate?" He asked.

"Oh hi I'm Hikari's friend, Yuri." Yuri introduced through the phone.

"Huh? Since when did you start thinking of me as a friend?" I asked directly.

"Since I actually want to get to know you." She answered.

"I did nothing different though."

"Get out for now." I motioned to L.

"Huh?" Yuri sounded.

"Oh I wasn't talking to you." After L left I started talking again.

"So why do you suddenly wanna get to know me?"

"When I told my friends what happened they said I was lucky to have Light protect me. Not a single one of them even bothered to ask me if I was doing alright. You're the first. Thank you." She answered. I was dumbfounded.

'That's all it took?'

"It's only right that I ask you that, you went through a lot after all." I said. That was the truth.

" By the way...what happened after Raye introduced himself?" I asked wanting more information about what had happened. I resumed the recorder.

"Oh- After that he dropped a paper so when he went to pick it up...the hijacker got there before and took the paper, he said it was just another date plan. But soon he started getting paranoid and hallucinating, he kept on telling something to get away from him and shot all of his bullets at the back of the bus. Just before that Raye Penber told everyone to get down and Light covered me~" She said, saying the last part joyously.

"After his gun was empty he went to the bus driver and threatened him to stop the bus so he can get out. Raye ran after him but couldn't catch him since he got hit by a car and died." She informed. She was being very helpful.

" Tell me one more thing. Why did Raye tell you his name?" I asked.

"When he told us not to do anything Light said that a lot of hijackers use a second hijacker acts as a normal civilian and sits at the back of the bus to fool other civilians and keep watch. Light is so smart~...Ahem...so to prove to Light and I that he's actually not an accomplice he showed us his FBI badge." She said.

'SHIT! Raye you messed up pretty shit.'