𝟏𝟕. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐨𝐥𝐝𝐞𝐧 𝐛𝐮𝐭𝐭𝐨𝐧

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟕; 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐨𝐥𝐝𝐞𝐧 𝐛𝐮𝐭𝐭𝐨𝐧
(𝘴𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘪𝘪, 𝘦𝘱 𝘹𝘷𝘪𝘪 -'𝘤𝘢𝘳𝘳𝘯𝘢𝘭 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸𝘭𝘦𝘥𝘨𝘦')

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟕; 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐠𝐨𝐥𝐝𝐞𝐧 𝐛𝐮𝐭𝐭𝐨𝐧(𝘴𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘪𝘪, 𝘦𝘱 𝘹𝘷𝘪𝘪 -'𝘤𝘢𝘳𝘳𝘯𝘢𝘭 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸𝘭𝘦𝘥𝘨𝘦')

𝐆𝐖𝐄𝐍 𝐍𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐔𝐆𝐇𝐓 𝐀 𝐒𝐈𝐌𝐏𝐋𝐄 𝐁𝐔𝐓𝐓𝐎𝐍 would mean so much to her. Honestly, the girl had even forgotten about its existence until she saw it as a new charm on her bracelet. You see, the story behind the golden button had, of course, roots back in the Hamptons — like every other good memory between Gwen and Nick. They both attended a dinner party being hosted by one of the many socialites their parents were acquainted with — Gwendolyn only went to please her aunt and Nicholas, despite saying that his presence there was due to the fact the hostess was a dear customer of his mother, only went because of the Vanderbilt girl.

At some point, as the night went on, the two ended up making out inside a closet and when Nick was putting his blazer jacket back on he found out one of his buttons was somehow missing. Gwen remembered not being very gentle taking the Waldorf boy's jacket out of him, so she figured the missing button was her fault. She remembered scratching the back of her neck and saying 'Oops' and then Nicholas laughed loudly almost making them get caught. They searched around the closet for about ten minutes before giving up because, apparently, the damn thing had simply disappeared. Nicholas not once stopped teasing Gwendolyn about it.

You see, out of all the blazer jackets Nicholas Waldorf owned he decided to wear one his mother had made especially for him and the thing with its buttons was that there was a W craved in every single one of them. So it wasn't a wonder that a few days later Nick met Gwen with an extra mischievous grin saying the woman whose closet they made out in had found the button and given it back to him. From what Nicholas told Gwendolyn, the socialite obviously had the suspicion he was there in the closet with someone. The Waldorf boy enjoyed how red Gwen's face got and then how mad she got when he started teasing her again. It was a good memory, despite how embarrassed Gwen was at the time. Nicholas chose the perfect charm for her bracelet.

"Gwen!" the girl looked up from her bracelet to see her mother looking at her with a raised brow from her seat at the other side of the table. "I asked you if you're not gonna eat anything?" she gestured to the barely touched plate of pancakes in front of Gwen. "You're gonna be late for school."

"Yeah, sorry." Gwendolyn wasn't even sure of what she was apologizing for. Maybe she had been saying 'sorry' way too much lately. Vivienne didn't seem to care about her daughter's reply, the woman simply turned her focus back to the documents placed in front of her — the woman's breakfast was a full plate of work with a cup of coffee. "Uh, mom?" Gwen asked after taking a bite of her pancake. Not bothering to avert her eyes from her documents, the blonde only hummed in acknowledgment. "How did you know that you're in love with dad?"

The businesswoman raised her head so quickly it was a wonder she didn't hurt her neck. You see, Vivienne was someone more rational rather than emotional. She never gave much thought to the specifics of how she come to love Edward. It happened and here she is, Mrs. Vanderbilt. Ed was her rock, surely Vivienne would've been able to be as successful as she currently was on her own, but the support of her husband did ease her anxiety. There wasn't a big fuss, her heart didn't come out of her chest like in a cartoon, there wasn't a bright neon sign telling her she found the one. No, she just looked at Ed and she knew.