𝟏𝟗. 𝐚𝐥𝐦𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐲 𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐩𝐚

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟗; 𝐚𝐥𝐦𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐲 𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐩𝐚
(𝘴𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘪𝘪, 𝘦𝘱 𝘹𝘪𝘹 -'𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘨𝘳𝘢𝘯𝘥𝘧𝘢𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳')

𝐁𝐄𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐀 𝐕𝐀𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐑𝐁𝐈𝐋𝐓 𝐂𝐀𝐌𝐄 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐇 many demands — plus a shit ton of money —, attending uncountable family events was only one of them

𝐁𝐄𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐀 𝐕𝐀𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐑𝐁𝐈𝐋𝐓 𝐂𝐀𝐌𝐄 𝐖𝐈𝐓𝐇 many demands — plus a shit ton of money —, attending uncountable family events was only one of them. This time the entire clan was summoned to the country house in Rhode Island for the celebration of the family anniversary. The first Vanderbilt to step foot in America did so in the 19th century and that was something the older people from the family liked to brag about, Gwendolyn and her cousins, however, didn't care much about it. Attending such an event usually only meant pleasing their parents and, especially, their grandfather. As old-fashioned as it was, William Vanderbilt was the head of the family and everyone respected him as if he was a king — in some ways he probably was.

That was just one of the many things Edward Vanderbilt hated about his family, the way his father always dictated their lives as if they were robots under his control. The Yale professor hardly ever showed up at family reunions, even though he did love some of his relatives. Ed did everything in his power to avoid hearing his father judge his every decision. It was a wonder Gwen didn't share the same aversion as her dad did for the Vanderbilts. She fit well among them, with her perfect grades, her perfect smile, and her perfect reputation. In fact, Gwendolyn shone among her cousins and William had great plans for her.

Although, even if the girl chose not to follow the family tradition the old man would still have a soft spot for her. After all, she was the only one who charmed her way into calling him 'grandpa' instead of 'grandfather' like the others. Gwen was a splendid girl indeed, but she was also the common ground between a father and son who were at odds for more than a decade, and that meant a lot for William. He missed Ed and the girl reminded him of his son in many ways, the patriarch was just too proud to properly reach and reconcile with Edward.

"So, Gwendolyn, how is your father?" William Vanderbilt questioned like he usually did. Masking his genuine interest in his son's life and wellbeing with mere politeness.

Gwen replied with her usual answer. "He is very well, grandpa." the girl knew better than to get into the father and son's feud and quickly changed the subject. "I see you changed the frame of Governor William Henry Vanderbilt." she pointed to the painting hanging on the wall in front of them. The two were currently in the part of the manor known as 'Hall O'governors', Gwen was passing by and her grandfather started to make conversation with her.

"Yes, I'm surprised you notice." the old man glanced up at his ancestor's painting accepting the change of subject. "But then again, you've always been attentive, dear." he smiled looking back at his granddaughter. "That reminds me, I heard the most marvelous news from Dean Hubbard himself." William started telling enthusiastically yet remained calm and collected. "He called me the other day to say how glad he was that my granddaughter will be attempting Columbia in the fall. I didn't know that, of course, but it wasn't a surprise, they would be fools in turning away such a bright mind like yours." he smiled widely and opened his arms to hug Gwen. "Congratulations, dearest."