𝟏. 𝐬𝐮𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐬

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏; 𝐬𝐮𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐬
(𝘴𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘰𝘯 𝘪𝘪, 𝘦𝘱. 𝘪 - '𝘴𝘶𝘮𝘮𝘦𝘳 𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘥 𝘰𝘧 𝘸𝘰𝘯𝘥𝘦𝘳𝘧𝘶𝘭')

𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑𝐘𝐁𝐎𝐃𝐘 𝐊𝐍𝐎𝐖𝐒 Gwendolyn Vanderbilt is a terrific tennis player

𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑𝐘𝐁𝐎𝐃𝐘 𝐊𝐍𝐎𝐖𝐒 Gwendolyn Vanderbilt is a terrific tennis player. Not only because her mother makes sure to brag about it every time there's brunch — "Oh, you must see Gwen's new trophy! I don't know where we'll put so many trophies!", the woman always says —, but because it's true. The girl is a natural! That's why there was no surprise when, every year, she kicked everyone's butt during the Summer Tournament at The Hamptons. Well... Guess what? Gwendolyn lost two matches this summer — shocking news! —, and almost lost the tournament. The final match had such a tight score people started saying Gwen was cursed and lost her abilities. How dare they? To say the least, she was not happy about having a standard opponent. As far as anyone's concerned the tennis court is Gwendolyn's kingdom and nobody can disrespect the queen like that. Okay... Maybe she's spending too much time with her best friend, Blair, who's obsessed with hierarchy. But the point was: the Vanderbilt girl was sure her infuriating opponent was cheating, and she just couldn't have that. So, one afternoon, when she saw him passing by her summer home all by himself, she didn't waste the opportunity to go out and give him a piece of her mind.

"So what you're saying is that I distracted you on purpose?" he had a smug grin on his face after she showered him with accusations.

You see, of all people in the world, it was Nicholas Freakin' Waldorf who decided to challenge Gwen at her natural habitat. The infamous troublemaker, who was the perfect representation of a spoiled rich boy. Nick, Blair's dearest older brother, who moved away to Connecticut three years ago to attend college and since then only showed his face in New York during Thanksgiving or Christmas (if so). What the hell was he in the Hamptons for? Honestly, nobody had any actual idea. Gwen would know because she asked around about his sudden appearance more times than she would like to admit.

"Well, Gwennie dear, it's not my fault you felt so entranced by my good looks and charm that you lost focus." he shrugged, more than amused by the entire situation.

"Please, you have as much charm as a cockroach." she scoffed.

"Still, I don't see you disagreeing about the part of being entranced by my good looks."

The half-smile decorating his lips was what began to bring Gwendolyn to her doom. Truly, she couldn't understand why she felt the least attracted by someone who so effortlessly got on her nerves — which wasn't an easy task, by the way, Gwen considered herself an awfully calm and collected person, and she really was. Otherwise, how could she survive her mother's demands or he best friend's tantrums if not by having tons of patience? Still, something about Nicholas ignited a part of her where there was nothing but sarcasm and annoyance. The Vanderbilt girl could list a hundred things she considered infuriating about the Waldorf boy, yet none of these things stopped her from —  a few days later —  making out with him inside a bathroom during a random party. Then again behind the pool house of Serena's grandma's home. And so many other times she was even ashamed to remember.