E.3. Database Corruption

Just a reminder, check if you've read the previous update.
---------------------------------------

I gulp thinking what the doctor has to tell me. Why are they so serious? Firstly I don't remember having any accident or how I ended up here. And now looking at their serious faces, gives me a chill.

"Sidharth, you must be having questions as to how you've reached here in this hospital and what exactly has happened to you. You might be finding all our behaviours odd. I can understand.", Dr. Subramania said.

This is freaking scary, the suspense is so intriguing. Come on! Drop the bomb.

"You had a major car accident and were brought to the hospital in a very critical condition. You needed an immediate heart surgery and we successfully operated you as well.  We did a heart transplant.", Dr. Subramania said. I observed that Dr. Sana was sobbing in the corner as he narrated the incident. Why would she be so much emotional?

"What the hell? Is this some kind of joke? I don't have a car. I stay in a hostel and commute by public transport. How can I have a car accident when I don't drive one? Don't give me a heart attack else I might really need a heart transplant.", I said touching my chest on the left. I hadn't noticed all this time but I felt a bump and a stinging pain in that area. I pulled my gown down and looked at it in shock. Indeed there was a wound which was wrapped in a white bandage.

"The incision will take around 2 - 4 weeks more to heal, Sidharth. It has been 4 weeks since you are here. The healing period is somewhere between 6-8 weeks. It will pain and be swollen as well during this period", Dr. Subramania said.

"Oh God! Why can't I remember anything about the accident? Was I sleep driving? Because I should have atleast remembered driving before the accident if not later as I was unconcious." I spoke feeling petrified.

"There is more to it Sidharth which came unexpected to us and which we realized just few minutes back when you gained consciousness.", Dr. Subramania said scaring a shit out of me. What is he going to say now? And why in the world is Dr. Sana sulking so much? Does she cry so much for every patient of her's or am I a very special and rare kind of case?

"The suspense is killing me doctor. Please spill the beans quickly now. I don't want another heart transplant.", I said to him.

Dr. Sana looked at me horrified and shook her head asking me to stop saying such thing. More than the news Dr. Subramania broke, it's her tears which is giving me a heart ache. Why would a stranger cry for me? Nobody ever cried for me this way. Not even Gunjan.

"Dr. Sana please stop crying. I am absolutely fine.", I finally said to her without bothering what others present in the room would think about it.

She put her head down wiping her tears with her handkerchief while nodding her head to say fine.

I looked at her for sometime while others except her looked at me. I waited for her to lift her head and then gave her a smile. She smiled back with tears filled eyes which she wiped it again. Those beautiful almond shaped brown eyes were red and showed immense sorrow and pain which was not less than running a butcher's knife mercilessly on my heart. The tears simply didn't cease to pour and I understood that it wasn't under her control.

"Sister, could you please pass her this water to drink?", I requested by passing her the mineral water bottle which lied on the table near me. The nurse took the bottle from my hand and gave it to Dr. Sana.

"Yes doctor. Please continue." I said to the doctor while my eyes were still fixated on her. She opened the cap of the bottle with shivering hands spilling some water on the floor and sipping some down her throat.

"Yes Sidharth. Today's date is 8th December, 2021.", The doctor said, giving me a shock.

"What? How can it be doctor? You said I was unconcious for 4 weeks then how can there be a leap of 9 years? I am confused more than shocked now. I hope my ears are working fine.", I said pulling my earlobes to check for it's proper functionality.

"Your ears are fine Sidharth and so is the date. Actually, you are suffering a Dissociative Amnesia which means you've forgotten part of the events in your life.", Dr. Iyer said.

"What? Sorry, could you please come again? I am suffering from what?", I asked to confirm.

"Dissociative Amnesia. You've seen movies where the actor or actress lose their memory and wake up in hospital? Something similar", Dr. Iyer said.

"Sorry, but I do remember my name, my parents, my childhood and lot many things. You took my interview few minutes back and I answered them all correct. Right?", I asked.

"Yes, Sidharth. You are absolutely right! But there are different types of amnesia like Retrograde where a person forgets his past, Anterograde where person can't make new memories. Likewise yours is Dissociative Amnesia. Our brain is just like a computer's CPU and due to the accident some of the data (here memories) saved have got erased. In your case, the memories post 25th April, 2012 has got erased. So you have lost all your memories for the past 9 years.", Dr. Iyer says.

I got a goosebumps listening to him.

"9 years? I lost my memories for 9 long years? Why & How?", I asked in shock.

"There could be multiple reasons Sidharth which we can vaguely guess based on the short interview we did earlier. You were supposed to give your final exam on 25th April, 2012 and another major thing was you wanting to propose to your best friend, Gauri..", Dr. Iyer said.

"Gunjan..", I corrected him.

"Yes. Sorry, Gunjan. Often brain tries to erase an unwanted or painful events which might have caused trauma or pain in the past. The memories which you've always wanted to erase from your life. As per your statement earlier, you would be broken and shattered if she doesn't accept your proposal. So may be.. may be, we are guessing, may be she rejected your proposal and you found it too painful to overcome in life. So when you lost your memory, the brain erased off the painful memories along with the memories post that event.", Dr. Iyer said.

Oh Hell! Gunjan rejected my proposal? Why Gunjan? Why? I loved you so much and always thought that probably you loved me too. What could have been the reason for her refusal? Did she love someone else?

Tears roll out of my eyes and I start sulking. Probably, I might be the first person to re-live and experience the same breakup twice.

Dr. Sana came close and sat next to me. She searched her bag and passed me a tissue. I wiped my eyes and my eyes fell on the mirror on her bag. I pulled it closer and checked my face in shock. I look so different, I mean I look like a proper grown up man. I looked down at my body. Oh man! I hadn't noticed it earlier but my body was muscular, the biceps, abs, I mean from a skinny boy to something like a Heman overnight. Arghh.. I mean in 9 years..

God!! What and all am I still left to discover about myself? What and all must have changed in my life from past 9 years.

"Doctor, what else do you know about me? I feel as if I am lost in the middle of the desert not knowing where to go." I said to him.

"Brace yourself for yet another shock but once you are acquainted with the news, you would be relieved that you have a source who lived some part of your life with you and might help you by sharing those memories.", Dr. Subramania said.

No! How many shocks am I awaited? I am sure even the mental asylums wouldn't have given so many shocks that these doctors are giving me. Ganapati Bappa, please help me.

_________________________

To be continued.. ❤️❤️

Happy Birthday Sid. Love u dher sara!! 🥺