Chapter 5: Strange Thunderstorms

Another rainy day in good ol' Gotham.

You strolled through the streets. Hands buried in your beige coat pockets. The soft drizzle sprinkled around you.

A metal framed picnic shelter seemed like a perfect spot to take a break from exploring. Buckets of water fell from the sky as you stepped in.

There was a soft sneeze that made you turn to a figure seated, you both gave each other an acknowledging nod.

A gust of wet wind blew through the shelter. Its steely bones rattled. You leaned against the table, a sigh escaped you.

"There's going to be an electrical storm soon." His voice was gruff.

"It's getting late, too."

You observed him. A long limbed, but polite fellow. His oversized puffy jacket hid any further information that you could have gathered from this two minute interaction. You planned your statement, before you pushed yourself up.

"My apartment isn't too far. If we leave now-"

"We?" The Man scoffed. "Are you aware of how unsafe it is to invite a stranger into your house? Has your mother never taught you about Stranger Danger?"

"I'd rather have you with me than out here. Cold. Alone. Probably electrocuted... I have cake."

"Ahh, that settles it then."

"I'm not going to hurt you." You stated bluntly. "Are you going to hurt me?"

He frowned. He looked at you. Like, really looked at you, as you did him a few moments ago.

"Do you have anywhere else near here? I could walk you to them."  You said. "The stores around here are closed for the night, so it's not like you could duck in and I leave."

"You some kind of hero, kid?"

"Hoping to be."

You thought that your response was a stupid one. It was quick, but probably a wrong dialogue option to have picked.

The puffy jacket inflated significantly. He let out a huge sigh.

"Alright."  He said.

You stood next to him, casually waved your right hand counterclockwise to form an air bubble to shelter you both from the thick blanket of water.

You could feel a questioning gaze, but he said nothing. You made your way back home.

Crack!

An electrical buzz filled the air behind you. The hairs on your neck stood.

You looked back to find the shelter decimated. After exchanging shocked glances, you both cackled in relieved laughter.

"Oh," You realised your rudeness, you held your left hand out for a fist bump. "I'm Y/N."

He looked hesitant before returning the gesture,

"Dabi."

------------

You were so relieved that you had a complete clean up of the apartment, seeing The Man study a doodle you stuck up on the fridge.

He draped his coat over his arm, unknowingly allowing you to see his joints more clearly.

Because if worse came to worse.

"Tea?" You asked as you filled the kettle up.

He nodded. You set up the cups. Then decided that you needed dry clothes.