Chapter 37: Excuses

You planned to find the villain hangout. These brief moments with Dabi and Shigi aren't enough. Dabi only gets a few minutes to play with your hair while you complain to Shigiraki about the most recent.

You were away. You can breathe without feeling one of the girls glaring. Without one of the boys asking you to help with their essays because Yaoyurozu told them to shut up. You were fucking up their rhythm when you're there. You feel the relief when they know you're going to be out. Well, hiding in Mineta's room to the staff and class of U fucking A.

Your bubble of delusion that was this group had been hidden in the broken apartment lobby this time. Shigiraki had perched himself very far from you. You didn't get a chance to steal a hello kiss. You were in Dabi's arms, wanting to be in someone else's.

You decided to let it go. You missed Dabi and his calm sibling like care. You chose to enjoy it and squeezed him back. Dabi patted your head to tap out. Shigiraki scoffed, but stayed away still. His masked face had turned to a window. You wanted his attention at least. Even for a moment.

"Why aren't you reading the file?"

"Its written. I'll see it later."

"I spent hours on it." You said quietly. "And you're not even going to open it?"

"I trust all the information's in there."

"Next time. Next time I'm just putting blank sheets of paper. What's the use putting all this effort, and you aren't going to read it."

He sighed. And picked up the file. The fool fell for your plan. On buying time. You leaned all of your weight into Dabi's hold. And looked up at him. He caught on, gave you a rewarding squeeze that was too hard. You weren't chicken like him, you didn't tap out. You could feel your scabs chafing, but this was fine. Dabi was happy with how you were looking at him.

"How's Saber?"

"Good. Haven't seen him since your check up."

"Calm down."

"W-why haven't you seen him?"

"He's underground. Off the grid. Breathe, Y/N."

"Surely you'd still have contact with him."

"Breathe, Y/N."

How would you? How could you? Saber could have not been at this very moment. Someone could have buried him by now. He could have been sleeping quietly in a box in an alley after being stabbed. No one around to carry him before he eventually bled out.

"Why did you leave him alone?"

"He's a grown man. I have to trust he can take care of himself. And, Breathe, girl, and he's not affiliated with us. Y/N. Sit. Just. Here. No."

Dabi pulled you to the floor, then in to his bear hug. He rocked back and forward. You held on to him, your fingers dug in as hard as he held you.

"Breathe."

"You left him alone."

"I'm here now." He whispered. "I'm here, Y/N."

"Yes. Not with him."

"He's fine. I want to stay with you. I'm here now. It's not like before. I'm here."

"He could be bleeding out!" You burst.

"No he's not! He's in Mozambique, always fucking eating! Look. Look. I was lying. Here."

Dabi let you go through his messages. It was mostly pictures of food, the setting and a cat Saber said looked like a wet Dabi.