Chapter 12: Stealthy as a Rhino

Dad glowed with pride, and not thanks to your mad airbending skills for once. Kuzon had taken ownership of his belly, purring at the plushness of Dad.

"You're lucky I don't need to move."

Kuzon chirped once. Then again. Odd. Now he had a meowful conversation with Dad, who mrrped here and there in response.

You let them be, while you readied more tea. You mulled over the idea of introducing Dad to Dabi. Dabi to Dad.

How would you explain your friendship in a not creepy way? Everyone thinks he's a cousin from your mom's side. And because you dont bring her up, people would not question it. Why would you lie about blood?

But Dad knew everyone from her family, of course. You always told Dad the truth. And he already knew the basics of Dabi. You realized the problem isnt dad meeting him. It's him. Dabi. He continuously banged on about 'moving in silence', and 'keeping civilians on their toes'. He was a very private person.

Dad knew the relationship is based on using you as a replacement sibling. His siblings being out of the picture, as far as he would let on. He needed to fill that big brother role. And you needed a gentle big sibling, never having one of those before.

Nika and Shria were more the American Big Brother stereotype. If they could make your life hell, they would do it at the drop of a hat. The last people to go to for help. If you needed anything, be it advise, to whine or just needing company; you only needed Dad.

You placed the tea within reach of the slumbering Dad. His tea senses were perfect as always. He sat up immediately.

"Thank you, Twinkley."

You swatted at the gesture. He held the disgruntled Kuzon. Dad apologized profusely. Kuzon listened, but did not accept it. He sat on Dad's lap with a sour expression.

You decided to keep Dabi hidden for now.

"So, uh. When am I meeting my eldest eldest?"

You frowned.

"Dabi, man. You said he is older than Shria."

"When he's ready to." You said with reluctance. "He's a nervous boy. I havent told him that I told you anything."

"Ah, okay."

"Please be good at lying if he asks."

"Of course, Twinkley."