The Galla Part 3 - Willa

Kenric and I had been dancing for what seemed like hours, stopping only to occasionally grab a drink or snack and tease each other's moves mercilessly. When they started playing slower songs, we came together naturally, and he effortlessly spun me, my dress twirling out like an upside down rose underneath me. I had never been this happy, this electrified, never felt this special and valued. Heat bloomed in my cheeks as he pulled me closer, and I rested my head on his chest. His scent brought back a million memories at once.

We were kids, and he had come into Ellie's room to bug us, sticking his tongue out and stealing our candy.

We were older, making awkward eye contact from our lunch table.

We were in the halls of Foxfire, and he was flirting with me at my locker. I brushed him off, laughing.

We were in my tree house, me trying to get him to study, him trying to avoid studying at all costs.

We were sitting together, conspiring over Ellie and Tiergan, trying to parent-trap them into a relationship.

We were surrounded by my siblings, trying to convince them we weren't a couple, while they refused to accept it.

We were in my mom's boutique, and he was dressed up in a gown with his hair pinned back with rhinestones and I was laughing harder than I'd ever thought was possible.

We were in the hallway, and I had tripped only to be caught by him, a smirk on his face.

We were in the forbidden cities, wearing roller skates and drinking slushies until I got a brain freeze.

We were on the couch, binging Harry Potter and making eyebrows at the snuggling Ellie and Tiergan.

We were at the ice cream shop as he consoled me over something I hadn't even told him yet with milkshakes and jokes.

We were working together, setting up everything so that Tiergan could ask Ellie to the ball, and then watching them with binoculars and popcorn.

We were in his yard, just at the edge of the woods, as he stumbled over his words for the first time since I'd met him as he asked me to the galla.

We were here, now, in this moment, my head on his chest, swaying back and forth, taking in every part of each other.

And now he was pulling away, just far away enough that he could take my hand and whisper in my ear, "Come outside with me?"