Chapter 10 - I'll make it up to you

The day passed by rather quickly, considering Evie had barely moved from her spot on the bed.

She poked her head out of the covers and squinted against the colourful sunset.

She wasn't surprised at the hollow emptiness she felt as she gazed at something that had once brought her so much joy. Reaching her limp arm out towards the window, she watched as the faint glow of the sunset danced in between her fingers.

She reluctantly dragged her body up and into a sitting position. Her long, tangled hair fell in her face as she glanced at the note on the bedside table.

She rubbed her eyes against her blurred vision. Branton had left her contact lenses next to the note, but Evie didn't have the energy or patience to deal with putting them in. She picked up the letter and brought it closer to her face.

My sweet, Evie.

I hope you're feeling well-rested. I left this note as I didn't want to wake you.

I'll be out for the day and will return by 6 pm.

Love, Branton.

Today Branton had insisted that they spend the day together. She had told him she was too tired and sore and just wanted to rest.

It was true that she was tired, she was beyond exhausted. It was also true that she was sore. Painkillers had numbed the pain in her ankle, but her body was tender and bruised.

Despite these reasons her true intention was to spend some time alone so she could clear her head. She needed to figure out how she was going to beat Branton at his own sick little game.

She slowly rose from the bed and stretched. She narrowed her eyes at the letter in her hand before throwing it on the floor. "You want to play, Branton? Fine, let's play."

After showering and washing her hair she stood in the wardrobe staring at the row of extravagant dresses. She picked up a black cocktail dress and slipped it over her head. The dress was fitted so it showed off her curves, and the V-neck cut offered a glimpse of her cleavage. She grabbed a pair of silver heels and yanked them on. It was a little difficult to walk with her ankle, but as long as she moved slowly she could manage.

She examined the outfit in the mirror and noted that she would never have chosen this dress for herself.

Either Branton didn't know her as well as he thought or, this was the kind of thing he wanted her to wear.

She picked up the contact lenses and took them into the bathroom where she proceeded to place them in her eyes. After a few difficult attempts her vision was finally restored. She brushed her long hair and added foundation, mascara and some lip gloss before adding the final touch to her charade.

The feel of pearls against her neck felt like she was wearing a dog collar.

She exited the bathroom and once again stood in front of the full-length mirror. Her hand gravitated towards the pearls and clenched tightly around the jewellery. She forced herself to let go before she ripped them from her neck.

The sound of locks clicking open had her taking a deep breath to compose herself.

Branton opened the door and his eyes inspected the tidy room with approval. His gaze finally landed on her and widened in surprise.

"You.. look amazing," He praised, as he approached her.

She averted her eyes, her determination momentarily wavering under her captor's presence.

What if he wanted to hug her, or even kiss her?

"Thank you." She forced a small smile.

He stopped in front of her and looked at her with soft eyes. "You're even wearing the gift I gave you."

Evie nodded. "Of course. The pearls go nicely with this outfit, wouldn't you agree?"

Branton flashed her a genuine smile. "Indeed."

Evie returned the smile with a forced one of her own. "If you'll allow it, I'd like to cook you dinner. I'd like to apologise for my inappropriate behaviour."

Branton was still admiring her with his eyes, he seemed captivated by her. "Of course, my sweet girl. I'd be delighted to have you cook for me."

Such a predictable man.

.......

Branton was standing in the kitchen casually chatting about his day.

Evie was preparing dinner and listening intently to what he was saying. She wasn't interested in his day, she just wanted to learn everything there was to know about this man.

Branton and Rex were so different in every way.

Branton was wearing a pair of navy jeans and a neat black tee shirt. As always he was clean-shaven and his hair was well-groomed.

The way Branton presented himself with his posture, tidy appearance and mannerisms led you to believe that he was polite, well-spoken and educated.

She recalled Rex's unkept hair and his creased unbuttoned shirt. His swearing accompanied by the drinking and smoking led you to believe he was rude, crass and untaught.

Even their taste in food was different. Rex was happy to dig into an unseasoned steak whereas Branton had requested she cook braised chicken with spinach and lentils.

"It sounds as though you had a rather productive day," She commented.

He nodded in agreement. "I'm afraid that I'll be quite busy tomorrow as well."

She looked down at her hands. "Oh, that's a shame. I was hoping we could watch a movie together."

"I'll make it up to you," He promised while placing his hand on top of hers.

Her hand involuntarily twitched the moment he touched her. He studied her face suspiciously.

Not wanting to validate his scepticism she offered a shy smile and gently placed her free hand on top of his. "Ok, Branton."

This action seemed to erase any doubts as he smiled down at her warmly.

She slowly retrieved her hands and gestured towards the dining room. "Dinner is almost ready, if you'd like to take a seat I'll bring it in for you."

"Sure." He replied before leaving the kitchen.

As soon as he was gone she raced to the sink, turned on the taps and washed her hands vigorously.