Chapter 25 - Bang

"Kitten?" Rex's hands landed on Evie's shoulders, pulling her from her thoughts. He raised an eyebrow at her blank expression. "Are you even listening to me?"

"I'm sorry," she apologised, fiddling with her ponytail. "You were saying?"

"The detectives from yesterd-"

"Detectives!?" She interrupted, her eyes wide.

Rex frowned. "Are you bloody kidding me? You haven't heard a single word I've said."

She averted her eyes. He released a loud sigh before tilting her chin up and planting a lingering kiss on her lips.

"You're lucky you're pretty fucking adorable when you zone out."

She resisted the urge to wipe her mouth. Instead, she allowed him to lead her to the couch. He sat down and slowly dragged his eyes up and down her body. She squirmed uncomfortably under his gaze.

"So." She cleared her throat. "You were saying something about detectives?"

"Well, the thing is, cupcake." He slowly rubbed his jawline in contemplation. "I don't like repeating myself."

She clasped her shaking hands behind her back. "I'd appreciate it if you did. What would it take?"

His eyes lit up at her question. "Do something for me."

"Like what?"

He raised one shoulder in a shrug. "You know me well enough to know what I like."

She nervously chewed her lip before quietly exhaling, mentally preparing herself for what she was about to do. She slowly lowered herself on top of him, afraid that any sudden movement would make him strike. As she straddled him he remained completely still, staring up at her with his hauntingly beautiful eyes.

"Good girl," he praised, his husky voice causing her to shiver.

She gently wrapped her hands around the back of his neck and lowered her face until her lips were inches away from his own. She planted a single, quick kiss on his lips before raising her head. His blank expression told her that it wasn't enough.

She kissed him again, this time with more urgency, pushing her tongue into his mouth. He released a groan as she tugged at his bottom lip with her teeth.

His hand slid up the back of her shirt and crushed her body closer to his. As the heat between them quickly built, she couldn't stop the moan from escaping her lips. She yelped as Rex effortlessly flipped her onto her back and pinned himself on top of her. Without his lips leaving hers one hand started tugging at his belt while the other fumbled with the button on her jeans.

She turned her head to the side, breaking the kiss. "Wait a minute. You promised you'd tell me about the detectives," She panted.

He didn't appear to be listening as he removed his belt.

"Rex!" She complained.

Suddenly he froze and stared down at her. She tried to wiggle her way out from under him but his legs had her pinned.

She licked her dry lips nervously. "Rex?" She asked, earning her nothing more than a few blinks.

She reached out and cupped his cheek. "Are you ok?"

His hand landed on her wrist and squeezed. "Who the fuck is Rex?"

Evie's eyes widened in fear as Branton squeezed harder. "Answer me!" He yelled, twisting her wrist and causing her to cry out in pain.

Her eyes filled with tears as she pulled against his hold. "That's his name!"

"You gave him a fucking name?!"

She sobbed in fear and shook her head. "No! That's what he calls himself."

"You lying, fucking bitch!" He slapped her cheek so hard that her vision become hazy. He grabbed her throat and leaned down to her ear. "You were just about to fuck him, weren't you?"

Unable to respond, she gasped for air and clawed at his hands.

"You little slut!" He screamed, as his hold tightened against her throat.

She continued to struggle as her vision dimmed. With a single, strong jab, her knee collided with his manhood.
He grunted in pain and released his hold, allowing her to push his limp body off of her. She coughed as the air suddenly rushed into her lungs.

Branton reached for her, his face red with rage. She dodged his grabbing hand and bolted out of the room.

"There's nowhere to hide, you fucking bitch!"

His taunt drifted into the hallway; barely auditable over her pounding heartbeat. 

She leaned against the wall and coughed again, struggling to catch her breath. She could hear Branton groaning from his crippling injury, but she knew it wouldn't be long until he recovered and came after her.

"Shit," she whispered, panicking.

She crept into the study and quietly shut the door. The lounge room monitor showed that Branton was still on the floor, cradling himself. She stealthily moved behind the desk and opened the bottom drawer, relief flooding over her as she pulled out Branton's bedroom key.

Her eyes flicked to the monitor to see the lounge room empty.

Her heart skipped a beat.

Scanning the monitors, she picked up movement in her bedroom. Branton's dark silhouette was moving through the room, searching every nook and cranny. He quickly passed through the room before she lost sight of him as he entered the ensuite. After a few moments, he exited the ensuite and walked into the upstairs hallway, stopping to turn his head. Her hands shook as she covered her mouth in terror; he was trying to listen for any sounds that might give her away.

It wasn't long before he was on the move again, descending the stairs at pace. Somehow she knew he was heading for the study. Key in hand she opened the door and moved into the dining room, crouching behind a chair.

With long strides, he passed by and slammed open the study door. She quietly ran out of the room and up the stairs, stopping at Branton's bedroom door. Her shaking hands fumbled with the keys, dropping them with a bang.

Her heart pounded in her chest at the brief silence that followed. She jumped into action at the sound of footsteps bounding up the stairs.

"Found you, you little whore," he shouted.

She couldn't believe the high-pitched scream that filled her ears was hers.

Branton stopped in front of her, his fist inches from her face.

His hand slowly changed from a fist into two fingers and a thumb.

"Bang," joked Rex.

Evie collapsed to the floor, tears streaming down her face. She couldn't stop the pathetic hiccups from escaping as she continued to sob.

"Come on, you're ok now," Rex soothed, bending down to stroke her back.

She accepted the comfort offered, clinging to him for support. "I thought I was going to die."

"If you hadn't screamed he was going to kill you," he confirmed. "For some reason, I couldn't take control. It was like I was throwing myself at a brick wall."

She took a deep, shaky breath to compose herself. "I've done what you asked. You'll let me go now, right?"

Rex tisked in response. "That's not what I promised, Kitten. I said I'd free you from this house."

He grinned and flashed her a wink. "I never said I'd let you go."