Chapter 21 - I'll be gentle

His sudden demand rendered Evie speechless. 

Branton took her brief moment of silence as confirmation of his suspicion. "Don't take me for a fool, Evie," he warned.

His tone caused her to recoil away from him. He purposely followed her movement, leaning towards her. "What has he told you?"

Her mouth parted but immediately snapped closed when she noticed he was looking at her lips.

She swallowed, finding her voice. "He told me..," she trailed off, her mind fumbling to come up with something.
"That you.. were the one who wrote the warning on the wall."

His eyes widened at her revelation. "That.. is true." He scratched the back of his neck. "I'm sorry you found out that way. I was planning on telling you myself."

She stared at her hands for a few moments to compose herself before tilting her head towards him. "I didn't want to believe him. It hurt me to think that you would do such a thing."

Branton's eyes immediately softened. He grabbed her hand and gently squeezed it. "I wanted to keep you safe, Evie. I did it for your own good, I'm sorry if I hurt you."

"I understand why you did it, but I still feel betrayed. It makes me wonder what else you're keeping from me."

With his free hand, he reached over to tuck a loose stray of hair behind her ear. "Nothing, I promise."

She gave him a small smile, seemingly accepting his apology.

"What else?" He pressed, his tone once again harsh. "I want you to tell me everything. There can be no secrets between us."

She took a deep breath. "He's claimed that.. I belong to him."

Her eyebrows shot up at the growl that resonated from Branton. She leaned back as he suddenly tightened his grip on her wrist. "Do you?"

"Of course not," she squeaked in fear.

His eyes burned with rage. "Have you slept wi-" he stopped mid-sentence and closed his eyes. She could see them twitching under his closed lids. It was obvious that he was struggling for control.

She frowned, her body shook from the adrenaline that coursed through her veins.

"How dare you." She yanked her wrist out of his grip. "How could you even ask me such a thing?"

He opened his eyes as she released a short, humourless laugh. "If something like that had happened, do you really think it would have been consensual?" She shook her head in bewilderment. "Just like you, he takes what he wants."

Branton appeared genuinely shocked by her outburst. "Are you saying that he has forced himself on you?" He pressed.

His question caused her to fidget. "No, I'm not saying that."

Branton remained silent as a wide range of emotions passed across his face. When he finally spoke, Evie held her breath.

"I'm sorry for accusing you."

She glanced at his face to see that he was collected and in control.

"When it comes to you, I can't seem to control my emotions," he explained.

Instead of yelling like she wanted to, she picked up her glass and gulped down the remaining wine.

His eyes pleaded with her. "I can tell that I've offended you, please forgive me."

She hesitated. There were so many things that she wanted to say, many of which would end up costing her a visit from Rex.

"Please tell me how I can make it up to you," he pressed.

Her eyes travelled to the empty glass she was spinning in between her fingers. "You can trust me."

He shocked her by sliding closer and wrapping her in his arms. His gentle embrace felt intensely suffocating and she fought against her instinct to pull away.

"I will," he promised, before planting a soft, lingering kiss on her cheek. "I love you, Evie."

To her dismay Branton didn't release her, instead, he buried his face in her hair. He sighed, his breath tickling her neck. "Do you love me?"

She closed her eyes tightly and bit her lip. Her hand slowly reached up to rest on the back of his neck. "Yes," she whispered.

Her answer caused his arms to tighten around her. Her skin broke out in goosebumps as he suddenly started planting delicate kisses along her collarbone.

His hand trailed down her chest, stopping to cup her breast. To stop his advances, she carefully grabbed his wandering hand and entwined it in her own.

His lips left her skin to gaze into her frightened eyes. "What's wrong?"

She could feel her face burning. "I..um.."

"It's ok," he hushed. "I'll be gentle."

Her heart pounded against her chest as he carefully laid her down on the blanket. His large frame hovered over her as his eyes scanned her face. "My gorgeous girl."

"I don't think-"

Branton silenced her by leaning down and softly pressing his lips against hers.

She froze.

His soft moan filled her ears as he leaned into the kiss, deepening it. Her stomach flipped as he ran his hand along her thigh, parting her legs and pushing himself in between.

She placed her shaking hands on his shoulders and gave a push. "Wait."

He looked down at her and smoothed her hair back. "Don't worry, we're alone."

His lips met hers once again, this time more urgently. She felt lightheaded as he explored every inch of her body.

"Branton, wait," she panted, giving him another push.

He looked down, clearly confused and a little offended that she had stopped him.

"It's just that.." She hestitated, trying to come up with something. "This wasn't how I pictured our first time."

He lightly traced his fingers along her arm. "How did you picture it?"

"In a bed," she started, trying to think of the most cliché scene. "With romantic music and candles."

He smiled. "You've fantasised about it."

She flashed him her best impression of a shy smile.

"Well, in that case, I'm more than happy to play out your fantasy." He stroked her cheek and gave her another lingering kiss before taking her hand and helping her to her feet.