Chapter 11 - Quit perving little girl

Three weeks had passed since Evie's self-proclaimed victory with Branton.

The dinner 'date' had earned her some perks. He had started letting her have free rein in the house while he was home. Granted it was mainly to cook and clean, but she couldn't take being cooped up in that room any longer.

Every so often Branton offered a break from her routine by allowing her to watch movies. Most of them consisted of romantic comedies, her favourite. At first, she welcomed the distraction, the escape from reality. But now she found herself detesting the movies, they merely reminded her of the things she would never have.

Like romance. Love. Happiness.

Branton had originally spent movie night on the other couch, sitting as far away from her as possible. However, as the nights passed, he started inching closer. Another reason she now hated movie nights.

Last night he sat right next to her. His arm had brushed against her as he leant across to retrieve the remote. Although she had found the act of Branton touching her repulsive, at least he seemed to have more restraint than Rex did.

The twisted alter ego that was Rex, hadn't shown himself since the little dining room ordeal. She had made sure of that. Playing Branton's sweet little housewife helped keep him happy and therefore, keep Rex away.

Even now, as Branton was working in his study, she was cleaning the house to maintain her image.

The repetitive motion of rubbing had lulled her into a sort of trance. Her lids became heavy as she wiped down the dining table. Feeling hazy, she looked over the ingredients list of the cleaning product questionably. She scanned the room and suddenly noticed smoke wafting in.

She abandoned her cleaning and walked down the hall, stopping in front of Branton's study. The door was half open, allowing the smoke to flow out and into the dining room.

Her hand gently pressed against the door, opening it slowly. She peeked into the room and saw Branton, his back facing her, casually leaning back in his chair. She watched as he discarded whatever it was that he had been smoking in an ashtray, and poured himself a drink.

"Quit perving, Little girl."

She froze at the sound of his voice. Her heart started pumping wildly as he turned to face her, smirking at her shock.

"What's with that face? I thought you'd be glad to see me." Rex briefly feigned being hurt, before laughing.

How had this happened? Everything had been going smoothly. She had been behaving and Branton was happy. What had made him mad enough to lose control of the body?

Movement on one of the monitors caught her attention. Realisation quickly hit her and she turned away from the scene, the traumatic night still fresh in her memory.

Rex took a swig of his drink. "Prince charming's curiosity got the better of him," he said, clearly amused. "But he couldn't handle watching his little angel enjoy getting get roughed up."

Evie felt her cheeks flush at his accusation. "I did not!"

He simply raised an unimpressed eyebrow at her outburst. Not wanting to fan the flame, she bowed her head.

"You don't actually believe that do you?"

His comment left her speechless.

Before she could answer, he clapped his hands together with what could only be described as excitement. Well, the same kind of excitement a lion gets before it rips into a zebra carcass.

"I have a present for you," He announced while opening the desk drawer. His tone appeared genuine, causing her to become even warier. She shifted her weight nervously.

"Ta-da!" Rex flashed a one-sided grin while holding out a red collar.

She stared at the collar confused, the little bell jingling as he stood up. He stopped in front of her so they were inches apart. "Turn around."

Before waiting for her to comply he grabbed her by the shoulder and spun her around. She twitched as he swept her hair to the side and fastened the collar around her neck.

"My Kitten," He announced approvingly.

She touched the piece of leather around her neck and couldn't help but laugh at the irony.

"What's so funny?" He demanded.

She leaned against the wall and her eyes flicked to meet his gaze. "I just remembered something. The night Branton gave me those pearls, it felt like I was wearing a dog collar."

Rex rested his hand on the wall next to her head. "I'll have you know my gift is a cat collar," He said while looming over her.

She didn't have the energy or willpower left to feel degraded by the gift, she just quietly played with the tiny bell.

Rex was quiet for a few moments as he studied her. "I noticed you've been playing the timid little housewife." He leaned in close to her ear. "Having fun?"

She resisted the urge to push him away. "Not particularly," She admitted, earning her an amused grunt.

"Although," she continued, turning her head away from his, "At least with Branton I know what to expect."

He hummed in agreement at her comment.

Her eyes widened in surprise at the gentle kiss that was suddenly placed on her neck. She was so shocked by the gesture that her body froze. She just stood there while he continued to place soft kisses along her neck.

He stood back and looked at her with a cocky smile. She unintentionally touched her neck where he had been kissing. "Why did you do that?"

He shrugged. "To test you."

"Test me for what?"

Her question only widened his smile. "Well, I was wondering if the sweet and gentle approach would get a reaction out of you." He clucked, "But, it turns out my theory was correct, you prefer the rough stuff."

Her mouth parted to argue. "Uh uh," He interrupted. "Your body doesn't lie."

"I honestly have no idea what happened last time, but it was a mistake."

"Mistake, huh?" He asked slyly, while slowly advancing towards her.

"Oh no, please, I didn't mean it." She held up her shaking hands in defeat. "I admit it."

"You're lying."

"No really, I know-"

His hands slammed into the wall on either side of her body, pinning her in place.

"Looks like I'll have to prove it to you."