Chapter 3 - Looks like the kitten has claws

Evie tripped over her feet as she hastily retreated from Branton's looming figure.

She held out her hand in warning. "Stay away, or I'll scream."

"Do not resist me, Evie," he warned. "I was hoping you would cooperate."

She favoured her right ankle as the throbbing pain alerted her to the injury. She continued backing away while frantically scanning the road for help.

He held out his hand. "Come with me."

She turned and prepared to run but was immediately grabbed from behind and lifted off her feet. His large hand covered her mouth, muffling her screams.

"If you don't obey me, then I can't protect you!" He hissed in her ear.

She struggled against his grip but he easily restrained her against his chest. He released a grunt as one of her desperate kicks connected with his shin.

Landing on her feet, a sharp pain shot up her leg causing her to stumble. Before she hit the ground, her wrist was grabbed and she was yanked towards a very malicious-looking Branton.

"Watch yourself, Babycakes," He teased in a sly tone, as she slammed into his embrace.

She pushed against his chest, earning her a smirk. "Playing hard to get, huh? Well, you should know I always get what I want," He purred.

He grabbed a fist full of her hair and started dragging her along the footpath. She yelped in pain while clawing at his strong grip.

"Ohh looks like the kitten has claws!" He laughed, mocking her desperate struggle.

He pulled her thrashing body through the bushes, her fearful cries for help silenced by his hand.

"See that car over there?" He asked, gesturing to a black SUV that was barely visible in the darkness. "You're going to be a good girl and get in quietly," He growled.

Her attempt to scream only managed to produce a fearful, frustrated cry. The moment the sound escaped her lips she felt her captor's whole body tense.

He shot her a terrifying glare. "What the fuck did I just say?" He spat.

Her back collided with a tree trunk so hard that her legs buckled. He slammed his hand against her throat, pinning her in place.

"I dare you to try that again," He threatened in her ear, "I fucking dare you."

She tried pulling against his hand but he only tightened his grip, his nails digging into her soft skin. "Try that again and I'll kill you. Do you understand?"

She could only manage to gasp in response. He finally released his hold and air raced into her lungs in large gulps.

Tears spilled down her cheeks as she gasped for air. His mouth set into a grim line. "Stop crying."

She closed her eyes and took a deep, shaky breath. When she opened them he yanked her towards the car. He carelessly threw her onto the backseat and slammed the door behind her, she landed roughly on her side but sprung up the moment she heard the locks click in place.

Panting and on the verge of hyperventilating, she pulled on the door handles and banged on the back windows, as well as the tinted glass that separated her from the front seats. Wrapping her arms around her knees she released a defeated sob.

There was no way out.

Suddenly the car lurched forward, sending her off balance. She flung her hand out in front of her just in time to stop her face from smashing against the glass. As the car continued at a steady pace she stared at her frightened reflection.

Apart from a few scratches, her glasses had miraculously remained intact during the struggle, so she could see her wild, frantic eyes staring back at her. Tears had caused her mascara to run, leaving black trails down her cheeks. Her hair was knotted and her scalp burned from having some of her hair torn out. She hissed in pain as she gently caressed the bruises forming around her neck.

Closing her eyes she fell back against the leather seat. Branton's cold glare was all she could see as though the image was burned into her memory.

The car ride lasted for about an hour. She had no idea where she was as the windows were heavily tinted so she couldn't see out.

When the car finally rolled to a stop she held her breath and pressed her back against the door. The door she was leaning against was suddenly yanked open and she was ripped from the car.

Branton's large hand was pressed firmly against her mouth while his other was wrapped tightly around her waist. She felt herself being lifted as he carried her up some stairs.

As soon as they reached the top, a motion sensor lighted blinked on and she squinted against the sudden brightness. She barely had time to glance around before being dragged inside.

He didn't bother switching on a light, he just continued treating her like a rag doll whilst ascending yet another flight of stairs.

Exhausted, she collapsed onto the floor the moment he released his hold on her. He finally spoke for the first time since shoving her in the car.

"Welcome to your prison," He sneered into the darkness.

She flinched at the sound of a door slamming, followed by a loud click. Her heartbeat was pounding in her ears as she sat on the carpeted floor too scared to move.