Chapter 19 - Morning, fuck face

The rain that had started as the slightest trickle down the window now poured down relentlessly.

Bright flashes of light briefly illuminated the room, seeping in through the bars and casting long shadows across the wall.

Evie lie awake watching as the shadows danced around the room. Her eyes were starting to play tricks on her as the shadows slithered together, morphing into a tall hooded creature. She squeezed her eyes shut as another loud crack of thunder resonated throughout the house.

Usually, storms brought her a strange sense of serenity. There was something comforting about witnessing a powerful storm from the safety of your bed. Tonight, however, the storm only seemed to fuel her fear.

Rex had passed out not long after his head had hit the pillow, leaving her alone with her thoughts.

She clutched her hand against her chest, there was a constant sharp pain that wouldn't subside. She hoped the pain was due to her anxiety and not some life-threatening after-effect of overdosing.

The next bright flash threw light onto the cat collar that Rex had placed on the bedside table. He had retrieved it from Robert's house and planned to have her wear it again. She eyed the empty bourbon bottle next to the collar.

She cautiously raised a shaking hand and slowly reached over Rex. She swallowed against a hard lump that had formed in her throat.

How exactly would she use it?

Hit him over the head? Smash it then stab him? Slit his throat?

Her hand inched closer, her fingertips lightly brushing against the glass. She gently twisted her body to reach closer, the slight movement causing his arm to wrap around her torso. Her heart skipped a beat as she looked down, squinting against the darkness. The next flash of light showed her an image worthy of a horror movie.

Rex was staring up at her.

She stared down at him with wide eyes, like a deer caught in headlights.

Another loud crack of thunder snapped her into action as she dove back to her side of the bed and buried her head under the duvet.

....

Branton hissed at the splitting headache he was met with the moment he opened his eyes.

He groaned as he gingerly rubbed his aching temples. The disgusting smell of cigarettes and the foul aftertaste of bourbon that stained his tastebuds had him wrinkling his nose in frustration.

"MORNING, FUCK FACE!"

The booming voice rattled Branton's brain against his skull, intensifying the headache.

"Ah, shut up!" Branton spat, talking out loud. He rubbed his tired eyes as the voice laughed.

"How can I stay quiet? I'm just SO excited that you're awake," He chirped. "By the way, I got hammered last night annddd long story short, you may want to hire a maid."

Branton froze as he looked around the room.

Why am I in Evie's room?

He sprung out of bed, his eyes wild with terror.

Where is she?!

If He had his own neck Branton would be strangling it right now.

"Beats me," The voice replied. "I've been asleep too, genius."

If you hurt her I swear to god!

Laughter filled Branton's ears. "You'll do what? Kill me?"

Branton was seething, he could feel his grip on the body slipping. He immediately sat on the bed, closed his eyes and mentally repeated his mantra.

All is calm. All is at peace. All is calm. All is at peace.

"Oh shut the fuck up," the voice groaned. "Go sooth your hippy soul with another kale smoothie, or whatever the hell you call that foul-tasting green shit."

Unaware of the internal argument Evie casually strolled out of the bathroom, stopping dead in her tracks the moment her eyes locked onto him.

Branton watched as she warily scanned his face as she assessed who stood before her. He swelled with pride as her posture relaxed the moment she realised it was him. With one simple look from her gorgeous green eyes, the horrendous image he had witnessed of her tied to the dining room chair had vanished.

Evie smiled shyly. "Good morning Branton. I'm glad to see you."

She was glad to see him!

The voice scoffed. "You're so pathetic."

Branton couldn't help but smile as he assessed the beautiful white dress she had chosen for the day. It was both flattering and tasteful, falling just above the knee. She looked as innocent as she was.

"I'm glad to see you too, Evie." His smile dropped slightly as his eyes studied her for injuries. "Are you unharmed?"

Her nod immediately brought his smile back. "Thank goodness."

"I think I'm going to puke."

Branton was in such high spirits he barely even registered his comment.

"Once I've showered, I'll prepare some breakfast for us," before stopping to think he added, "It's such a nice day, perhaps we should eat in the garden."

Evie's face lit up. "That sounds lovely."