Chapter 18.

In the weeks that followed Amy threw herself into work and working out. The incident was long forgotten and no one brought it up again. Amy had reached out to Sapphire and told her to be ready because she had to go into hiding until the culprit was caught.

She had made sleeping in her parent's bedroom an occurrence and Kieran did not like it. She took out the letters but couldn't open her seventh birthday letter because the top said;

Happy seventh birthday sweet girl. (7)

Open when finally happy.
Yes, we know and we are sorry.

She put it aside then moved to the eighth and it had its message.

Happy eighth birthday my love. (8)

Open when you are no longer lonely.
You told us today that you have a 'space' in your heart. That is something you should have never experienced.

Amy put that one aside too because not only was she lonely but she was also unhappy and harbouring a lot of anger.

Happy Ninth birthday (9)

Amy my love. Today you came home from school extremely sad and angry. We were not able to throw you a birthday party because it's a weekday and we have been away.

You introduced a friend to us. Lily, your new best friend, you specifically said that you are going to love her forever and go to all her birthdays. The statement was hurtful because despite it being a school day we always did something for you before and after school. We are sorry Amy. Not only were we lacking as parents but also as friends. You searched but we were never there.

You stopped telling us about your day or what you did and those little things, we never put the effort either.

Amy, we tried baby, we did but we had other obligations. Life happened.

We made a mistake. That is the whole point of this letter. Live your life, don't keep wondering what would have been. Be better to your future family. It is so sad that even when I write this letter I know nothing is going to change.

This path was chosen for us, we couldn't do anything about it.

P.s look closely, plans do go wrong and they did.

Amy had made peace with her parents' absence. It may have not been okay but they were gone, what would being mad at them do? Nothing. So she moved the ninth letter to the read pile and proceeded to take the tenth. The message on the envelope made her stop and think.

Happy Tenth Birthday angel.

So boys now no longer have cooties. In case you forgot, you had your first kiss today. So open when you finally find the one.

Kieran came to mind but just as she was about to open it, she got this slight doubt at the back of her head. So instead of rushing it, Amy put the letter aside and decided to open it after one more year of being together.

Amy walked out of the room, armed it and then went to her room. Kieran was waiting for her his shirt where he always put it. After changing she crawled next to him, he pulled her closer and they snuggled together.

"Thank you for coming and I am so sorry Amy." He whispered kissing her neck.

Amy did not reply or acknowledge what he had said. She simply listened to him talk and then dozed off.