.thirty.six.

Staring at Prince, I chewed my gum aggressively

Staring at Prince, I chewed my gum aggressively. Waiting for him to speak his mind so I could get back to my business.

"Man why it gotta be like this?"

I shrugged, not saying a word.

"Sire, we was like brothers. You not gon let a bitch come between us. Ion even know where the fuck she at, she just vanished."

I shrugged again. "You know it ain't bout her." I said frankly. "You ain't got no respect for me Prince. Or you wouldn't have done it behind my back. Shit nigga if you would've came to me straight and said she was hitting on you, I prolly woulda told you get wit her. She ain't mine. But instead you decided to sneak behind me. If you do that, what else you finna do on the low?"

He shook his head. "How I gotta gain your trust back man?"

"Why you want it?"

He hesitated before replying. Stuttering over his words.

"Cuz...cuz we like family."

I nodded. "Not cuz you got no where else to turn to and you need money?"

Prince sighed. "Fuck the money, I'll take a pay cut if I can get back in. I'll go back on corners, whatever man. Just lemme make this shit up."

I shook my head. "Ion think I could trust you bro."

"You could. On my pops, you could trust me."

I tapped my fingers against the table as we sat in the relatively empty Ihop. My gut was telling me to leave Prince where he stay. Even thought my judgement knew I would be choosing to make an enemy out of him and when it came to me having enemies. It was either they get dropped or I get dropped.

I didn't know if I had it in me to kill him. He was like family.

But to let my guard down and let him back into my business? It's a risk I didn't want.

"I can't P....not now. I need people behind me I don't have second thoughts about. You don't know half the shit on my plate, or what's brewing and I can't be looking over my shoulder to see if you or anybody else is about to put a knife in my back." I said calmly. Sighing when I saw the apparent look of disappointment on his face. "Whatchu need right now? I'll pay it."

He chewed his lip, sitting back into the booth. "Rent due, them hospital bills I have thanks to you...." he laughed.

"Nigga you pissed me off. Lucky all you got was that."

"I'm sorry bro.....you know I mean that?"

I looked up at him and nodded. "I know."

"So we cool?"

"Shits cordial." I paused. "You gon have to hit Ronnie with the tab. I ain't got mad money on me right now. Let him know, he let me know."