ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ¹

I ran as fast as I could. I had to ignore the rain that was relentlessly pelting me as my boots banged with each step on the wooden pier. My lungs were burning and my legs ached, but I couldn't stop. I couldn't get caught. Not now.

I heard their shouting behind me, demanding I stop. I wasn't going to listen. No way. I quickly turned around to face the nearest one and lifted my hand. The air around it grew cold and I shot ice towards him, freezing him thanks to the rain. I spun around and kept going.

Up ahead, a dead end. No more pier to run on. There was only ocean for miles and miles. I stopped right at the edge, looking down as my hair stuck to my skin. My hand instinctively grabbed onto my Vision, making sure it was still there.

"End of the line!" One of the guards said as they approached with their weapons raised. I felt the hairs on my arms go up and my eyes widened.

I quickly unsheathed the sword I stole and brought it down onto a rope that was securing a boat in place.

"Stop her!" They were about to when I used my Vision to freeze the blade, before throwing it into the air. A sudden strike of lightning hit it, separating me from the guards by using the Super Conduct fusion.

I fell backwards and landed harshly inside the boat. My ears rang and my vision was unclear. I rubbed my eyes and scrambled to get the oars.

When the guards finally recovered, they realised what was happening but I was already rowing away from them. "Get back here!" They shouted uselessly as I paid no mind to them, rowing to freedom while I felt great discomfort from being almost struck by lightning.

I sighed and lowered my head, calming my racing heart. However, I didn't escape unscathed. I pulled my collar to the side and saw strange burn marks running along my collarbone towards my shoulder.

-----

The storm hasn't stopped yet. The rain and wind had only gotten worse as I tried to row my boat away from the city. My body ached and was still sore from before.

The waves hit my boat and threatened to tip it over. I held on tightly to the oars but didn't know where I was rowing to. Everything looked the same around me. Water stretching as far as the eye could see.

I cursed when I saw more lightning striking near me. "Is this how I die?" I thought to myself.

One large wave suddenly threw me overboard, submerging me into the merciless depths of the sea. I barely had the chance to take a breath before it happened.

I attempted to swim up with limbs that were in excruciating pain as is and was able to hold my head above for a second to gasp for air, before another wave sent me under.

Below, I thrashed my arms and legs, trying to surface again but the last wave brought me far underneath and my oxygen was depleting, not to mention how exhausted I already was.

My hand reached out as my last breath left me and I began to sink, drifting towards the abyss.

And then followed by darkness.

-----