ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ⁶⁷

After getting sick, I've sorta been feeling a little sad... BUT as a result, I went overboard with today's chapter.

Hope you enjoy~

——————————

"That wasn't so bad, now was it?"
"I thought I was going to throw up..."
I collapsed onto the ground and spread my limbs out like a starfish while I held the bow in one hand.

"How else was I going to get you here before we got completely soaked?" He tried to defend himself while he dragged a hand through his damp hair. "Guess we didn't come out completely unscathed..."

Once the nausea wore off, I sat up and looked around to take in my environment. We were in a cave. It wasn't very spacious but it made for a good temporary shelter from the rain.

With a grunt, I got up off the dirt, sat down on a nearby rock formation and propped the bow up against my leg. It was a little too dark for my liking so I remained near the entrance where the natural lighting was.

"Now what?" He asked after joining me on the rock. "Wait out the rain, probably." I replied and rested my head against the wall behind me but moved away again when I remembered that spiders probably lived here.

"Boooooriiiing..." He leaned his elbows on his knees and hung his head. A deep sigh left him, clearly not wanting to sit around doing nothing.

Only a few seconds passed and he leaned back, resting against the wall like I did. "Hey, Shortie?" He addressed me, piquing my interest. "Hm?" I hummed in reply without looking at him.
"Remember the other night, when I was stabbed? And you dragged us to the camp?"
"Yeah?"
"I just wanted to say thank you, for one. It couldn't have been easy carrying this hunk of muscle all the way there."
We shared a laugh, him laughing while rubbing his nape.
"You're welcome. I'm just glad you're okay." I smiled at him and he chuckled nervously, "Right, but are you though?"

I tilted my head at him,
"What do you mean?"
"I remember everything that happened before. Are you.. okay?" Worry laced his tone and he turned his head to meet my gaze. He was obviously referring to when I was coughing up an alarming amount of blood.

I was relying on him forgetting the event and shrug it off as him being delusional due to blood loss. I should've known he wouldn't forget so easily.
"...Doc said it was internal bleeding but it's fine. For now, anyway."
"For now? Shortie, what if it happens again?" He moved so that he was facing me and looked me straight in the eye.

"You coughed a lot before, like after your fight with Kujou-Tengu. What if it's getting worse?" With an unwavering gaze, he stared into my eyes with uncharacteristic seriousness.

'The fight with Kujou Sara.' It seemed so long ago. As much as I hate to admit it, he's onto something. It wasn't this bad before.

"I'm sure everything will work out, Half-Oni. Doc said he'll get back to me with the results. Until then, I'm supposed to take it easy." He didn't answer, only kept staring at me with a mixture of concern and doubt.

"I promise you I'm fine! My throat was sore for a little while but it's really not that big a deal." I tried hard to get him to let it go and fortunately, it wasn't long until his gaze finally broke away from mine. Even though he didn't seem completely convinced.

Silence filled the cave. I was forced to keep myself busy as an attempt to spare myself from the awkwardness. I turned to watch the rain with melancholy. The sound of rain was always calming to me. The constant pitter patter put my mind at ease. Well, mostly.