ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ⁷⁹

Without thinking, Itto ran after her. "Arataki, wait!" He heard Lumine's attempt to stop him but he had already dove in after Paimon.

Itto's eyes scanned the waters and quickly found Paimon. She was panicking, thrashing around with her eyes shut. He swam towards her and grabbed her once he was close enough.

She opened her eyes and stopped thrashing when she saw it was Itto. He surfaced with her clinging onto him for dear life with her small hands. "You okay, Little One?" She meekly nodded her head.

"Hey! Down here!" Itto waved his arm to get anyone's attention up top. Teppei and Lumine peered over and saw them. "We'll throw you a life preserver!" Lumine nodded to Teppei who quickly disappeared to find one. When Lumine looked at them again, her eyes widened. "Look out! Behind you!"

Itto turned around to see it's spine-like fin rapidly approaching where he and Paimon were. "We're gonna die!" Paimon shrieked and squirmed in his arms. "Quit it!" Itto tried to calm her but panic arose within him as well when it kept getting closer. He had to do something. Fast.

A shadow fell over him and he looked up to see Lumine leaping over him with her sword raised above her head. The creature opened it's mouth, ready to gulp down Itto and Paimon in one bite.

However, before it could reach them, Lumine drove her blade into it's face. It screeched and redirected it's attack away from the two helpless adrifters.

She managed to steer it by pulling on the sword and got close to the ship before it threw her off. Itto swam towards her when she surfaced. Paimon stopped screaming and held onto the back of Itto's coat until they got close enough to the ship.

"Here! I got one!" Teppei threw a life preserver into the water and Itto helped Paimon and Lumine to make sure they had a good hold of it. Teppei pulled them closer and one by one, the three got back on to the ship.

"Thank goodness, I thought for sure-"
"We're not safe yet." Lumine interrupted Teppei and everyone turned to see it circling back. "Are you kidding me?!" Itto yelled in bewilderment and exasperation.

"Guys! I need a hand!" Everyone turned to face the voice and saw Y/n hauling something up the stairs. "Me weary bones can't last much longer!" They were surprised to see G helping her.

Upon closer inspection, the structure she was carrying was big, heavy and made of purely of cast iron. It had wheels which didn't prove to be of much help when dragging it upstairs.

"Wait is that a CANON?!" Itto asked while clearly gesturing to it. "Yep! Now help me get it up there!"

With the others' help, Y/n adjusted it so that the one end was pointing towards the water. "Here it comes!" Teppei alerted while pointing to the fin that could seen.

"Almost..." Y/n quickly opened the side compartment which contained a single canon ball. "I got it." Itto easily picked it up with one hand.

"G! The gunpowder!" Y/n held a hand out to G who patted himself, searching for it. Y/n grew impatient, "Now, preferably?!" His face lit up and revealed a pouch from his pocket before tossing it to her.

She was prepared to catch it but at the very same time, the creature rammed into the ship. Everyone was thrown off balance and Y/n missed the pouch. It landed on the one end of the deck and the canon rolled towards the other.

"Son of a!" Y/n made a split second decision and went after the canon. Itto was quick on his feet and went after the gunpowder.

"Crap crap crap-!" He dove after it and grabbed it with his free hand before it could fall into the water. He sighed a breath of relief and glanced behind him to see the situation.

Y/n was holding the canon by the wheel but it was teetering off the edge, ready to fall and her grip was loosening. Lumine ran over and helped her pull it up. They were followed by Teppei who pulled on Lumine and Paimon who pulled on Teppei.

With one final heave, they saved the canon and Itto rejoined them with the gunpowder in hand and a canon ball in the other.

After Y/n stuffed the gunpowder into the canon and Itto put the canon ball inside, Y/n froze. "What? What's wrong?" Itto asked her with concern. "The fuse. We need something to light it!"

The sound of a small metal clink turned everyone's attention towards G who held a lighter in his hand. "Here ya go." He handed it to Y/n who then struggled to get it to light.

"Um, guys..." Paimon was pointing at the creature that was approaching once again but much faster. It opened it's jaws in advance and barreled towards them at frightening speeds.

"C'mon... c'mon!" She flicked the lighter repeatedly, struggling to get a flame to start.
"It's almost on us!"
"I know! I'm working as fast as I can!"

Y/n drew in a sharp inhale when it lit the fuse and repositioned it with the help of the others. "Only got one shot..." She waited until she had the perfect shot and—

BANG!

It fired with a loud bang and hit the sea beast directly. Everyone watched with baited breaths as it slowly sank into the water. Bubbles rose to the surface for a few minutes. It slowed until it stopped completely.

"Did... Did we do it?" Paimon was the first to ask. "I-I think so." Teppei answered with a little more confidence. Slowly, everyone let go of the canon as they came to terms of what just happened.

"Ha... Haha! We did it!" Y/n celebrated and spun around to face the group. More smiles and laughs followed and hugs were exchanged between Lumine and Paimon, Itto and Y/n, and Teppei with G.

"Haha! How do you like that, Fish-Breath?!" Itto walked to the edge to stick his tongue out. "Yeah, that's right. We win, you lose. A-gain!" He turned to smirk at the group. "Psh. That thing was no match for us, amirite?"

Suddenly, the creature leapt out of water with it's jaws wide open towards the part oni. "AH! ZOMBIE FISH!" Itto's fight response kicked in and he threw a right hook right into the creature's jaw.

This time, it limply fell against the boat and slipped back into the waters with a big splash while the everyone was frozen and stared in shock.

Itto peeked his head over cautiously.
"Okay. NOW it's gone." He squinted to see better in the dark waters. "...I hope."

——————————