ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ⁸⁰

Ha, you thought I wasn't gonna do anything for my man's birthday
(For me, it's 1 in the morning on June 2nd but shh, like with everything, I'm always a little late)
———————————————————————
(A/N) Spoilers for Archon Quest: Omnipresence Over Mortals. While it doesn't strictly follow it, there are major spoilers for certain plotpoints. Eh, those who know, know
———————————————————————

Their ship came to a stop at the docks where they prepared to disembark after a long and arduous journey. It was early morning, the sky slowly lost sight of the stars and dissolved into bright shades of pink and orange.

The first walked out of the sleeping quarters and stretched her arms above her head. "Ugh... My back hurts." Y/n complained and allowed her arms to drop to her sides again.

After having slept on a mattress that did little to hide the wooden planks beneath, it was understandable for the discomfort she felt the following day.

"Ow." She turned to see Itto ducking beneath the doorframe while cradling his forehead.
"Did... Did you just hit your head?"
"Not my fault they made the doors so small!" He huffed and readjusted his hold on the bag he was carrying.

Y/n remembered the moment she woke up and saw him frantically trying to fix his bed-head with a small hand mirror he found. It would appear that it didn't help much as his hair looked gravity defying as he approached her. She liked his bed head, anyway.

"I think this is everything." He stated, unsure, as he handed it to her. "We didn't have much anyway." She replied with a shrug and took it from him.

"Do you need help with..." She pointedly looked at his hair and he scoffed, "Oh no, this is intentional. Thought I'd try something new." She could see through his lie but nodded her head regardless. "Riiight..."

After watching her sling the bag onto her back, he asked, "How'd you sleep?" Immediately, a frown formed. "That damned mattress messed up my back..." She grumbled and stretched her back to its fullest length which did absolutely nothing to aid in her relief.

"What about you, you look like you had a full night's rest?" Itto grinned, complacent. "Like a baby~" Y/n laughed, remembering the image of him sleeping on his back in a corpse position.

Paimon was creeped out when she saw him sleeping with his eyes open and refused to go anywhere near him.

"What's so funny?" He asked the girl in front of him. "Nothing. Just remembered something. Anyway, I think we should check on the others."

Y/n, being an expert at avoiding conversation topics, looked past the part-oni just in time to see Lumine, Paimon and Teppei exiting the room where they had slept the night.

"Good morning." She greeted the three, earning a few for herself in return. Some energetic, some still half asleep.

"But where's the fishermans toast...?" Paimon was 'glaring' at Lumine though her eyes were shut.
   "Paimon, for the last time, that was just a dream you had." She carefully corrected her floating companion who shook her head.
   "Noooo... You said we could get some in the morniiiing!" Paimon tugged gently on a strand of Lumine's hair with her small hand whilst pouting angrily.

"Morning, you two. Good to see this morning being a lively one." Teppei said while glancing towards the other two.
   "Excited to meet with Her Excellency later?" Teppei was now asking Y/n, forgetting the two that were quarrelling behind him.

Y/n nodded, "Mhm. I'm hoping to get answers for a few things while I'm here." She was nervous but excited at the same time. This combination of conflicting emotions were part of the reason for her poor night's rest.

Teppei nodded, remembering her mentioning something similar before. "In any case...." Teppei looked behind him to check if the other two were done fighting before stepping towards the end of the deck.

Y/n could've sworn he whispered excitedly to himself something along the line of, "I've been waiting so long to do this...!"

Throwing his arms out on either side of him, he smiled widely. "Ladies and gent, welcome to Watatsumi Island!"

The stories Teppei shared did not do the island justice. It was far more magnificent in person. They were above water, Y/n knew this, but seeing the gargantuan coral structures played tricks on her mind. It was as if they were standing at the very bottom of the sea.

"Whoa..." Itto silently marveled at the sight before him. Teppei had also turned to smile pridefully towards the island. "Yep. Pretty amazing, huh?" Everyone had to agree with him. The bright and breathtaking colours mesmerized the crew.

It took the sound of G descending the steps to bring them back to reality. "We've arrived, lads and lassies." He loudly announced while lazily gesturing to the landscape that awaited them, though he was a little late to do so.

"G will head back to the mainland and return in about a week if anyone wishes to leave by then." Teppei explained and the captain nodded his head, "Aye. Now run along, I 'ave deliveries to make and people to take."

Y/n bowed deeply, "Thanks for bringing us here, G. Though we've had our differences, I'm glad we manage to get here in one piece." She tried to be respectful, knowing full well that he nearly killed them.

"Yeah yeah, get off me ship." G turned around and brought a bottle to his lips, seeming to have forgotten all about them.

They irked in unison and Y/n had to hold Itto back when he tried to march after him.

The five of them got off the ship one by one with whatever luggage they had. Y/n remained for a moment to watch the ship set off before joining the rest. She frowned when she caught a glimpse of G holding a bottle of sake in his hand.

"He doesn't learn, does he..."

———————————————