ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ⁸⁶

They spent the next three days hanging around a camp stationed on the beach where Y/n and Itto helped the soldiers by doing tasks such as deliveries from the shrine to the camp and repairs of tools and other combat equipment.

"Remind me why we're still here? I thought the battle was over?" Itto asked Y/n who was lifting a crate. "They might try something if we leave now. We don't know exactly how many of their soldiers were decommissioned so we just hang around here until we know they have nothing up their sleeves."

Itto grumbled and took the crate from her. "We're not even in the army and we're stuck doing chores for them! We should at LEAST be gettin' paid!" He dropped a crate rather roughly and huffed in a sulking manner.

"Shouldn't we be looking for clues for the you-know-what?" He asked Y/n.
"You didn't seem to mind it when you got to pummel some of the shogunate's soldiers..." She smirk as he sputtered. "Well- okay, you got me there. It was pretty fun. Hehe..." He had a stupid grin on his face as he recounted the satisfaction of watching them retreat.

"See? So why not do some good while we're here? They were the ones that took your Vision, unless you've forgotten." Itto scowled at the memory. "Curse that Kujou-Chicken... I have nightmares of that day, the day she rid me of my precious Vision!" A tear form which he dramatically wiped away.

"I'll have my revenge! For if my name isn't Arataki "The Revenger" Itto!"
"That's the spirit. Now help push this wagon after you're done with that monologue."

After helping around for another couple hours, a commotion was heard and a few soldiers gathered to check it out. Y/n and Itto had just arrived to hear the good news.

Sangonomiya had sent word that she believes the frontlines were now safe after the three days and they were allowed to return to HQ. Y/n literally jumped with joy. She immediately apologized to anyone who had witnessed it and Itto was laughing his ass off.

That night, they had dinner around the fire with the others. Laughter and singing filled the air as well as the carefree and fun atmosphere.

Even Y/n, who disliked crowds, enjoyed watching everyone else have a good time.

She got to see a piece of her uncle's life as she sat there. She could imagine a celebration like this one occuring after every victory and she liked to think he'd join them.

"Havin' fun?" She was pulled from her thoughts as Itto leaned closer so she could hear.
    She was sitting on a log by the fire and hadn't noticed that Itto joined her.
"Y'know what it reminds me of?" She said as her eyes swept the area.
"What?"
"Reminds me of the times you and your gang have those nights around the fire, just like tonight."
"Oh yeaaaah... Man, I miss those guys." Y/n side glanced him and saw his head drop slightly.

"So do I.... Aw, especially Ushi! I wonder what that little cow's up to?" Y/n leaned back to look up at the stars in contemplation.
   "I miss squishing his chubby little cheeks... His grumpy little face... Those adorable sounds he makes when you rub his belly..." Y/n's heart ached as she dearly missed the miniature bull and Itto understood completely.

Her attention was drawn towards the group of men dancing in a circle. Two were singing a duet, another played on a makeshift stringed instrument and his companion was banging on a box and made a beat. It was surprisingly pleasant to listen to. If military didn't work out for them, they could always form a band.

Y/n's lips curled into a smile that was a telltale sign of a formulating plan. She got up and dusted her pants/skirt off  before turning to Itto who was still seated. "C'mon." She offered her hand and he looked at it with confusion. "Huh?" She rolled her eyes, "Let's dance!"

She pulled him up and he looked down at her in bewilderment,
"Dance? With you?" The look on his face made her burst out laughing. He looked so confused, eyes wide as he stared at her. It was too precious.

"Yes! Now come on!" She excitedly dragged him towards where the others were dancing and they happily made space to accommodate them.

It didn't take too long for the both of them to loosen up and soon, they were dancing like no one was watching. The soldiers hyped them up by clapping and cheering. Y/n wasn't afraid of judgement, the thought hadn't even crossed her mind.

"Hey check this one out," Itto did the Sprinkler and Y/n started laughing so hard, she snorted. "Archons, that was awful!" One soldier laughed with her and a few others joined. "How about this one," Y/n pulled out the Cabbage Patch and everyone absolutely lost it. "Okay okay, pretty good... But can you beat THIS!"

And so, the two danced the night away. Using moves that were corny, silly, and most importantly, really fun. All the while being cheered on by a handful of soldiers.

At some point, Itto and Y/n laughed so much they struggled to stay upright. They attempted to line dance as shown by one soldier but Itto ended up freestyling it and Y/n fell. Instead of getting up, she just stayed down as she couldn't stop laughing at herself, mostly.

An outsider would think she had too much to drink with how she was falling around and giggling, even though alcohol wasn't allowed amongst the soldiers.

The two even attempted to sing a song together but neither could quite remember the words so they improvised. A lot.

*        *        *

It was well over midnight when the two decided it was time to call it a night. The moon was only a thin crescent, casting a very feint glow over the dirt path they walked on. Y/n had her arm snaked around Itto's like how it was on their walk from before.

"Did you have fun?" She asked him, to which he nodded enthusiastically. "Mhm! I still can't believe you were the one to suggest the dancing thing."
"I know right? Not sure why I thought it'd be a good idea. I'm a terrible dancer." She and Itto laughed, recalling the dance moves she used that night.

"In any case, I'm so tiiiired... Carry me." Y/n squished the side of her face against his upper arm and he laughed.
"Well, if you insist."
"Wait I was joking— WHOA!" In one swift motion, he picked her up bridal style and left her too stunned to speak.

"If I'm a prince, then you're the princess. Right, Y/n?" He gently smiled at her, unintentionally making her heart race. His soft features accompanied by their proximity made her swoon even more over the part-oni. He could be a real charmer without meaning to.

"Oh shuddup..."

———————————————