ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ³

While we walked, I made sure to walk some distance behind him, but the cow thing was walking beside me. No matter how fast or slow I went, he would just match my speed. His little angry expression was unsettling. How can something just look angry constantly?

"I'm not going to do anything, Shortie. Whaddya take me for?" He said over his shoulder, seeing how far away I was from him.

"I don't exactly trust you, y'know."
"Whateeever floats your boat. I know I'm a good guy, I don't have to prove anything to you. You'll just have to see for yourself." He kept walking but my eyes was still on the cow thing.

After we returned, I sat down on the opposite side of the fire from him. The cow went to sit next to him by the crate and huffed as it laid down. I realised my clothes were still wet and stuck to me in some places. "Shit..." I muttered and tried to wring out most of it.

The oni guy approached me and I looked at him warily. "Relax, I'm just givin' you this. No need to get jumpy..." He handed me something that can only be described as a crab kebab. A dead crab with a stick stabbed through it. Slightly charred.

I was never one for seafood in the first place and examined it with hidden distaste. "Thank you..." I tried to bite it but the shell prevented me from eating the edible, though not delectable inside.

I looked at this guy as he bit into it just like that with his prominent canines. A characteristic he must've inherited as an oni. My face scrunched up at the loud crunching sound that came from him.

"Man, I could really go for some candy... I miss candy... Candy good, candy nice..." He sulked and I stared at him incredulously. 'Is he a child trapped inside an adult's body?'

My eyes darted towards the cow that was snoring rather loudly for a small creature. He laid on his stomach with all his legs sticking out on all sides. It was... Kinda cute, not gonna lie.

After struggling for some time, I was able to pry open the shell of the crab and eat the insides. It was quite bland without any spices or sauces.

"So..?" He asked expectantly. Without looking at him, I answered, "It's... alright. Still prefer chicken over this." I heard him click his tongue. "It's still good though." I quickly added, hoping I didn't offend him. I was just blabbering.

"...Yeah, it tastes like crap." He finally said with a disgusted face. I sighed with relief, now I didn't feel as bad.

After a silence fell over us, I decided to observe him. He acted very boyishly and was even childish, yet he had the physique and features of an adult male. A nice one at that. Wait.

He had one leg hanging off the side of the crate and it swung mindlessly while his companion snoozed beside him. He had another crab kebab in hand as he stared at the fire in disinterest. The flames danced in his eyes, causing them to shine a red and yellow colour. I had to admit, I really liked his eyes.

"What?" He looked at me and I flinched. "Is there something on my face?" He began patting his face with his hand, feeling for something that wasn't there.

"No, there's nothing. Sorry." I muttered and occupied myself with the kebab's stick. "So why're are you on the run? You don't look or act like a criminal... I would know, I run the Arataki Gang, after all. You've probably heard of us?" He just tried to use this opportunity to gloat.

He smirked pridefully but I remained silent, causing his ego to deflate. "Not gonna tell me? Fine. I didn't care anyway." He crossed his arms and pouted. When I was still silent, he gave it up and went back to doing whatever he was doing.

I shivered slightly as the cold was biting through my now only damp clothes. "If you're cold, you can borrow this." He held up a plain grey blanket and I shook my head vigorously.

"Wow. Couldn't you at least pretend you were thinking it over? Geez... Suit yourself." He shrugged nonchalantly and put it away.

I was too nervous around this guy to say a thing. He could do something at any moment. He could easily overpower me if he wanted to. Honestly, I was afraid of him. Him, and his angry cow.

Maybe it was the fact that he's an oni or half-oni or whatever. Are they known to eat humans...? I certainly hope not.

I stood up which earned Half-Oni's attention.
"Where are you heading off to?"
"Nowhere. I'll be probably be back."
"Ah... There are bushes further from here so rather do your business-"
"I wasn't going to do that!" I exclaimed, flustered, causing the cow thing to raise it's head in alert.

I ignored his loud laughing and searched for a vantage point. I climbed the small boulder pile near me and looked around. Water... And small islands connected to this one. I was hoping that there would be somewhere in the distance that I could escape to, to get away from this guy.

"You, Half-Oni." I stomped over to him but stopped after his intense gaze fell onto me, all my confidence dissipating.
"What? What do you want? I'm kinda in the middle of something?" He asked rudely. I gazed down at the poorly drawn drawing in the sand of a beetle.

"Yes, very busy... Anyway, how do I get off this island?"
"Boat." He plainly said, poking the fire with the stick used for the drawing before throwing it in.

"Okaaay... do we have one?"
"Nope. See the problem here?"
"...So you mean to tell me, that you've been stranded on this island... and now I'm stranded? With you?"
He leaned back and interlocked his hands behind his head. "Yeeep." He answered, popping the 'p'.

I felt like crying at that moment. "Nothing seems to go my way..." I groaned into my palms. I was tired, physically and mentally.

After all I've been through, I get stuck on an island with no way to escape. With this guy...

I needed to clear my head and process everything. "Screw it." I got up and stormed off. "Hey, where're you going?"
"Nowhere, don't follow me!"

After I left, Half-Oni shook his head. "Gosh, women..." His companion huffed in response. "You get it."

-----