ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ⁸¹

A few guards greeted them by the port and thanks to Teppei's affiliation with the army, they were able to go in without much fuss.

"Her Excellency is currently handling other business at this time. She asks for your patience while she is occupied and hope you can excuse her tardiness." One soldier informed them.

"You are welcome to wait at the shrine and if you need anything else, you may ask any available soldier in standby or Teppei here." The soldier nodded to Teppei who returned it and left after having said his piece.

Teppei watched him for a bit before turning to the rest of the group.
"Right! We've finally made it. That right there is the training ground for the Watatsumi Island's troops. Right now, the resistance is predominantly made up of local soldiers while the others are stationed around the island to protect the locals or out fighting the Shogun's army in Tatarasuna." Teppei explained while gesturing to the grounds around them like some tour guide.

A few soldiers could be seen helping the locals or sparring against each other. The situation was very similar to the one back at the resistance camp where Y/n and Itto had first found them.

"Teppei! Teppeeeeeiii!" A rather young soldier rushed over to them, huffing and puffing as if he had ran a long distance to get here.

"What is it?" Teppei demanded. "We need help... Over at the Takemura household..." The soldier tried to speak between gasps of air. "Calm down, I'll be with you in a second."

Teppei turned, now addressing the group, "Sorry I can't show you guys around. If you need anything, stick a note to my door if you can't find me. I promise to be back by the time Her Excellency is ready for the appointment." After bidding farewell, he went with the distressed soldier.

Now all that remained were the four.

Exchanging glances, everyone came to the unspoken agreement that no one had a clue on what to do in the meantime.

"So... Any ideas?" Paimon was the first to ask and break the awkward pause. "Uhhh we keep ourselves busy?" Itto suggested and glanced over at Y/n habitually. Y/n, feeling obligated to answer, added, "Just until Sangonomiya is ready for us. But what to do..." She looked around them. Her eyes scanned the area for inspiration but couldn't think of anything everyone would be interested in doing.

"Oh! Can we explore while we wait? Can we? Can we?!" Paimon was rather excited to scope out the place and tugged on Lumine's clothes.
Hesitantly, Lumine nodded, to which caused Paimon to cheer loudly, "Yippee! Let's go over there first! Maybe we'll find food stalls along the way!" She grabbed the Traveler's hand and guided her to someplace that caught her eye.

Itto and Y/n watched them run off without telling them where they were going, leaving them to assume they were on their own.

Then there were two.

"Soooo... What do you wanna do?" Y/n asked Itto who stroked his chin in thought before his eyes lit up like lightbulbs. "Milady?" He offered his elbow like some chaperone with a broad smile.

Y/n couldn't help but laugh at the unexpected gesture. "My, what a gentleman." She went along with the skit and slipped her hand into place between his arm and torso.

Slowly, they walked down the path while taking in their surroundings. Y/n thought she'd never get tired of the landscape. Did her uncle feel the same way, she wondered.

But it was peaceful. Too peaceful.

She looked up at Itto and he returned the gaze inquisitively.
"Is the walk to milady's liking?"
"It is pretty nice. It's just... You're not talking all that much and it's weirding me out." She said with a grimace.

"I know how noisy it can get in there," With his free hand, he poked the side of her temple. "Just thought you could use the peace and quiet." He finished with a half-shrug and continued to observe the scenery around them.

She continued to look at him thoughtfully, wondering how can one person be this thoughtful.
"Hm. Should have you knighted for your chivalry." She faked a posh accent and laughed as she found herself hilarious.

Itto reacted with a strained laugh, not matching her energy at all.
"Haha.... Wh-What's a chivalry again?" This popped Y/n's bubble as she now had to explain the joke.

"Chivalry is like a code to be nice and polite, especially towards women if not exclusively. Knights usually follow this code so I was just saying you should be given the title for acting like one."

They stared at each other in silence, and after a while-

"OHHH! I get it now." Itto laughed out loud for feeling silly and she facepalmed.
"Took you long enough."
"I kinda agree with you... I'm strong enough to be a knight, sure, but I got the looks of a prince, wouldn't you say~?" He smirked (😏+🤔) and she shook her head hopelessly.

"Whatever makes you happy, my Prince Itto." She said and leaned against his side, immediately shutting him up. 'Archons, it's so fun to embarrass him.'

———————————————