ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ⁹⁰

"Kokomi, we're back!" Paimon announced upon ascending the steps to the shrine and seeing the priestess. "Oh, look, Gorou's here, too."

This caught Y/n's attention. She observed the looks on their faces and felt something was off. "Why do they look so serious?" She asked aloud. "Yeah... Something's up." Itto agreed and the group exchanged worried glances.

"Approximately how many are exhibiting these symptoms?" Sangonomiya asked the general who replied, "I haven't had the chance to do a full count yet."

Paimon flew up to the two of them with concern written all over her face. "Kokomi, Gorou... What's going on?" Gorou only now seemed to have noticed them and nodded in greeting before explaining.

"Recently, some of our soldiers started showing signs of rapid aging. I found out after the order Her Excellency gave me to investigate. At first, I came up with nothing but after some questioning, I found out some have privately acquired secret weapons from our sponsor. They've been using these new weapons secretly since getting ahold of them."

"So that's why the war has been going unusually well." Kokomi concluded. "Y/n, you were right." She looked at Y/n who slightly jumped at the familiar serious and almost cold look in the priestess's eyes. "You were the one that informed me of the suspicious dealings amongst the soldiers. That is why I told Gorou to do an investigation for me. I just hope we caught it quickly..."

For a moment, Sangonomiya had a look of great concern on her face. Things were going south. Fast. It was the same feeling she had when she learnt that there might've been a spy amongst her ranks. As quickly as this emotion crossed her features, it dissipated into a look of determination.

"We must put a stop to this immediately. Gorou, have you managed to acquire one of these weapons?" She was now addressing the general who sighed, "Most of the officers refused to hand them over. Still, I managed to get one."

He took something out from his pocket and held it face up in his palm for everyone to see. "Oh no..." The Traveller whispered, recognizing it immediately. Hearing her comment, Sangonomiya asked her, "Traveller, do you know something about this?"

The blonde nodded her head, "It's a Fatui Delusion." Gorou's eyes widened, "So our sponsor is the Fatui?" He said in  disbelief. "Th-The Fatui?!" Paimon screeched. "Oh, why's it always them?!"

"Aw crap..." Itto muttered and spared a glance towards Y/n who was still staring at the Delusion. He knew the Fatui were involved with her uncle's death so he understood that she may be experiencing some heavy emotions right about now. He could already tell she felt conflicted in some way.

Even so, he knew it was best to let her process whatever she was feeling. That didn't stop him from placing a reassuring hand on her shoulder and although she didn't react, he knew she appreciated it.

  Sangonomiya had also been taken aback by the news but for a different reason. She had already known this. She denied it but deep down, she knew it was the Fatui. Thanks to Y/n, she was almost completely convinced they were involved somewhere but the priestess desperately wanted to deny that they were the sponsors.

  "Forget that, there's no time." Sangonomiya managed to grab everyone's attention. "Right now, we need to inform the whole army to cease using their Delusions immediately. All soldiers who have shown symptoms are to be taken for treatment. I just hope we'll be in time to save them."

"Wait a minute. Speaking of soldiers with symptoms..." Paimon shared a look with the Traveller whose expression had grown grim. "Teppei..."

Hearing his name, Y/n was pulled out of her stupor and urgently turned to the two.
    "What's wrong with Teppei?"
"He seemed a little off. Last time we saw him, he was coughing a lot and his hair was turning grey..." Paimon explained and Y/n lowered her gaze.

"It's entirely possible that he has one." Y/n said after a moment of silence. Paimon shook her head, "No– S-Surely he can't have..." Y/n had solemnly looked Paimon in the eye and she understood.

"T-Traveller, let's go check on him!" Paimon sounded... Scared. But it was the truth. From what Y/n had seen herself, it might be too late for him.

After the two hurried to find him, Itto forced a laugh, "He'll be okay, right?" When he was met with silence, he looked down at Y/n and felt his heart sank.

She was as pale as a ghost, a look of pure fear on her face. He had never seen her this terrified before. "Y/n?" She didn't respond. She only had this hundred yard stare with her hands balled into tight fists.

"Y/n." He placed both his hands onto each of her shoulders and made her face him.

She had this almost hazy look in her eyes as she faced him and he grew even more worried than he was before. "You're shaking like a leaf... Say something. Please." He held her face in his hands and she seemed to get a little life back into her eyes as her they registered the person in front of her.

"Itto." She spoke quietly and weakly held onto his wrists. She couldn't hold back the tears that ran down her face in a steady stream. "Hey hey..." Itto immediately hugged her and she sobbed against him.

He didn't know what to do. He doubted anything he said would comfort her.

He glanced over at Sangonomiya who was currently ordering a small group of soldiers and Gorou was already gone. Itto didn't know it yet, but something big was set in motion.

He felt as though he was way in over his head. He didn't understand everything that was going on from the war, to the Fatui's involvement. There were so many grey areas in what he knew about the whole thing. But he didn't need to know. All he wanted was to help Y/n. All he cared about was her. And right now, she needed him regardless of what was going on.

Itto hugged her tighter. Her tiny frame felt so fragile in his embrace so he was careful to not overdo it. She returned the hug and clutched onto the fabric on his back like it was her lifeline.

"Arataki." Itto lifted his head when a voice addressed him. It was Kokomi. "Could I ask you to take Y/n to a more quiet location? I see she's... Not handling this very well."
"Um. Right. Sure–"
"No." Y/n pulled away from the hug and wiped her eyes.

"No. I want to help. I need to."
"Y/n, I don't think–"
"Kokomi. Please. I need to do this. I've had enough with these Fatui. We have to stop them." Itto was about to interject but Sangonomiya held a hand up. "If she wishes to then... I suppose I can't stop you."

Itto examined Y/n's face for a moment before nodding, "Okay. If you're doing this, so am I." He offered a smile and she weakly returned it.
"Thank you, Itto."
"That's what partners are for, right?"
"Right. Your Excellency," Y/n took a deep breath before putting on a brave face. "What are your orders?"

This sight was strangely familiar yet Sangonomiya could not quite place her finger as to why.

She thought for a few minutes. "I need a report on all the soldiers who are showing symptoms and their conditions. I've already sent Gorou to do this. This should help give us an estimation of how quickly this "Delusion" takes effect. I also need to get the rest of my soldiers to relinquish theirs..."
"We'll get it done." Y/n answered firmly. "You can count on us." Itto said proudly.

"Very well. Get as many as you can. Good luck."

As they hurried off, the priestess remembered why it seemed so familiar when Y/n asked what she had to do.

What are your orders?

Kaito always used to say that.

——————————