ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ¹²

I desperately tried to swim up and saw Arataki with his hand outstretched towards me, holding onto the bag and Ushi with his other arm. I grabbed his hand and took the bag as we swam up.

We gasped for air as we emerged together and made quick work of trying to swim towards shore, not daring to look behind us. Ushi was tangled up in Arataki's purple and white ropes that he usually has wrapped around his back and shoulders.

"Moo! Moo!" Ushi made sounds of distress as he glanced behind us. "He's comin' back!" I heard Arataki warn.
"I have an idea! I can use my Vision to-"
"No, you can't pass out again!" He interrupted me and I stared at him, at a loss for words. "Well then, do you have a better idea?! Cuz I'm all ears!"

He caught sight of at the bag that hung from my back and noticed that it was leaking purple liquid. "The bag, it's leaking." I looked behind me and frowned at the discoloration in the water. "It could be what attracted the thing..." I concluded. "Then we have to ditch it!" He grabbed the bag from my back, slipping it off my shoulders and threw it far with his oni strength. "Our supplies!" I shouted as it was flying through the air. "The bag or us!"

During the flight, some of the fruit fell out and littered the ocean's surface and stayed afloat. The creature leapt out of the water and snapped it's jaws over the bag midair before going after the others.

While it was distracted, we kept swimming desperately towards land that was still in sight. However, my arms and legs were starting to get tired and I could tell Arataki felt the same.
"We're sitting ducks out here!"
"I know!"
"SH-!"

I was suddenly dragged under the water by my clothes (pant sleeve or some accessory on the outfit). I peered down to see it dragging me below with it's teeth. I caught a glimpse of it's glowing teal eyes.

I panicked but with one fluid motion, was able to swiftly take out my pocket knife and used it to cut the piece of clothing off. However, I was currently deep under the water and struggled to swim up again. Not knowing where the thing was, was my second problem.

I saw Arataki swimming towards me with long strides of his arms with Ushi still holding on, his cheeks puffed as he held his breath. That bull was resilient, I'll give him that.

Arataki reached out and grabbed ahold of my arm, taking me up with him. I pinched him and pointed below, indicating that it was coming back. He nodded and swam a little further. By the look on his face, he had an idea. Probably a stupid one.

At the very last moment, he let go of me and took out his club. He held it at a odd angle in front of him and wrapped a firm arm around me again.

I was confused and didn't know what he was planning but saw the creature bolting straight for us with it's mouth wide open. I clenched my eyes shut and wrapped my arms around him tightly for dear life.

Next thing I knew, we were moving upwards. I opened my eyes to see the club was wedged between the jaws, forcing it open as it swam with us still hanging on. Arataki looked just as surprised as me that it worked.

I wanted to yell something along the lines of "Half-Oni, you crazy bastard" but our current situation prevented me from doing so.

It struggled a bit, thrashing around as it tried to get rid of us but then went straight to the surface. It leapt out of the water with us still hanging on. I had to reach my hand out to make sure Ushi didn't fall off and got the chance to breathe before we plunged back down.

I discerned which direction we were heading in and pinched Arataki again. He nodded and gestured to me to hold on tight. The creature was about to make a sharp turn to avoid the shallow water ahead and Arataki knew this was his chance.

He placed his hands on both ends of the club and yanked it out so we can escape. It swam on as we surfaced and hastily swam towards the shore that was much closer now thanks to that thing.

"Shitshitshitshitshit!" We both cursed until we reached the beach, him reaching it first with his stupidly long legs. He dragged me out of the water and we both collapsed onto the sand.

I was flat on my stomach, legs and arms sprawled out and my cheek was against the sand. "That... Was way too close..." I heard him comment through gasps but didn't answer. Instead, I pushed myself up to be on my hands and knees and examined the waters, only to spot the creature swimming away. It's fins growing further and further until it was gone.

Ushi hopped off Arataki's back and took a few steps before collapsing as well. "Moo..." I rolled onto my back and stared at the sky while my breathing evened. "Everyone okay?" I asked breathlessly, earning grunt from Arataki and a tired moo from Ushi. "Good." I replied while wiping the sand off my cheek.

Arataki flipped onto his back as well, staring at the same sky. "Heh, we really need to stop having close calls like that." I nodded, "Agreed." We laughed a little and he dragged a hand through his now mop-like hair.

"That was pretty cool, you gotta admit."
"Cool? We nearly died, Itto."
"Okaay... But how many people do you know that rode in the mouth of a sea monster and survived?"
"...Good point."

I coughed a little from the salty intake and turned my head to look at him. "I am wholeheartedly blaming you for this." He whipped his head towards me and gawked, "What? Me? Why?"
"That thing could probably smell you from far away." He raised his hand and lightly shoved my shoulder, causing me to laugh.

"I don't stink!... Do I?" I laughed even louder and he narrowed his eyes at me. "I thought we established it was the melons!"
"In that case, I'm still blaming you."
"Y'know what, that giant fish probably could... Could uh... Sense that there was a mean person aboard!"

I looked at him whilst raising a questioning brow, "Really? That's the best comeback you've got?"
"I'm sorry, but I usually have trouble thinking after I've had a NEAR DEATH EXPERIENCE!" He retorted.

He crossed his arms and rotated his head away from me with closed eyes. "Pffft." I began to giggle at his childish antics and he huffed angrily, trying very hard to sulk.

He couldn't resist smiling just a little as I continued to laugh my ass off. I was holding onto my stomach as it began to ache. "Hey, s-stop laughing at me..." His voice struggled to remain even as he trembled from trying to keep his own laugh in.

I just kept laughing, mostly hysterical laughter from almost dying (again) but I was laughing nonetheless which felt good, after the experience I've had. And soon, he gave in and we were both laughing uncontrollably.

I sighed as the laughter died down, turning my head to look at him the same time he looked at me. Once again, I found myself staring for no explicable reason as we both just smiled softly at each other. I supposed it was because of that warm feeling I felt whenever I gazed into the red hues of his irises.

This close, I could see his eyes were actually a deep red colour that transitions into an amber, having a darker, maroon-coloured pupil that was shaped as a diamond.

I finally realised what I was doing and quickly sat up, avoiding his gaze. "Well we uh better get a fire going or we'll freeze or catch a cold or s-something." I stammered and got onto my feet to wring out my clothes.

I had to suppress another giggle when he sat up and his hair was still completely soaked. He looked like a wet dog. He tossed his head back so that the strands in his face would move out of the way.

"You look silly."
"Your face is silly!"
"Very original."

----

Heyo Mayos~

Idk what that greeting was, I heard my friend say it now it's stuck in my head.

Sorry for the slower updates, I feel guilty when I don't post a chapter soon after another. As a reader, I know what it's like having to wait for a fic to update lmao. I have somewhat an idea of where the story's gonna go, I just have to figure out how to get to that point.

I can't remember the last time I had to actually use brain power to write so I have to get used to it again lol.

Anyway, thanks for your understanding and patience and hopefully you will continue to stick around for when I finally grow a braincell :D

Until next time~