ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ³⁸

"Ouch." I hissed as Granny redid my bandages on my knee after I had a bath. "Almost done... There we are." She tied it neatly and sat back to admire her work.

I moved my leg this way and that to test it before giving an approving nod. It was healing up nicely. "Thanks, Granny!" I got up and patted my clothes down for wrinkles. "You're very welcome, dear. Let me know if you need anything else." I nodded, "I will. Thanks again." I said and retreated to the bedroom.

The room looked mostly the same as we left it, except it looked neater. Granny probably tidied a bit while we were gone. I spotted a pile of clothes neatly folded on my bed and assumed it was for me.

I closed the door and began to get dressed. I lifted my shirt over my head and discarded it onto the bed. I lifted the new shirt and was about to put it on when...

"Have you seen my comb, I can't find-" I froze, staring blankly at Half-Oni.
"..."
"..."

He blinked, slowly closing the door with a blank look. After he was gone, I stood there like a statue. Only in my bra and (pants/skirt).

"He just walked in on me changing." I wanted to scream as it finally occured to me. The embarrassment made me want to get eaten by the floorboards, never to be seen again. As if it wasn't awkward enough between us already.

I hastily threw on my clothes and slid the door open, hoping to find him to try and clear this up. But when I opened the door, he was right there. "Sh-Shortie! Hi!" He forced a smile, trying to keep eye contact with me but found it extremely difficult. My grip on the door's frame tightened as I built up the courage to say something.

"Y-you said you were looking for something?"
"Hm? Oh! My comb. Y'know, my p-prized possession!" He tried to use humour to cope but it wasn't working as well as he hoped.

"...I didn't see anything." He abruptly spoke, making my face turn a few shades darker. He scratched his cheek, turning his head to the side.
"L-Let's just forget this ever happened."
"Deal."
"It doesn't have to be weird, why would it be weird?"
"Nothing weird. Just don't make it weird."
"Yep. Easy."

There was an awkward pause.

I wordlessly moved aside so he could enter the room and I left to look for anything else to do. I decided to help Granny with any chores she might have for me. That should help me take my mind off it.

*        *        *

I sighed as I plopped down onto my bed, staring at the ceiling while my legs dangled off the side.

I flinched when the door opened and heard loud footsteps enter. I raised my head to see Arataki had just shuffled in. Just when I forgot...

He placed something on his desk and rearranged a few things before yawning loudly. "Man. I'm pooped." I saw that he longer had his glove thingies on. I hummed in agreement, lowering my head to rest again. Gotta act natural, I thought. My eyes fluttered closed as I enjoyed the comfort of the sheets beneath me.

I heard a loud breaking sound like wood snapping and immediately sat up to see Arataki sitting on his bed, however the bed was split from the middle.

"What happened?!"
"I dunno?! I just sat down and this happened!" He sprang up, looking at the broken bed. The reason might be that the bed was simply old, with him jumping on the thing the whole time it probably added to the aging.

"What happened?" Granny entered with Ushi and saw the bed. "I um. Broke it." He lowered his head with guilt. Granny Oni waved him off while shaking her head, "These things happen, it can't be helped. Though... You do need a place to sleep."