ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ¹³

We found an area with an overhanging cliff, similar to our old spot on the island. This also happened to be right beside a beach.

I took off my external articles of clothing, leaving me in my (pants/shirt/skirt/whatever, something that's not naked or underwear). I laid out the soaked clothes on a flat rock that faced the sun to dry them out for the few hours of daylight that remained. Once we had the fire going, I laid on my back with a long sigh.

I covered my eyes with my forearm, recounting the events of earlier today. "Sea monster... My luck is all over the place." I glanced at Arataki who was also taking off his coat, boots, and arm braces. Unfortunately, he was completely shirtless. At least he was still wearing pants..?

I averted my gaze, trying not to make it seem like I was staring again. "But we had a heart to heart conversation back there..." Even though I had looked away to prevent this, my face began to burn up from thinking about it.

I lifted my hand to pat Ushi's head when he nudged me with his nose. "Hey, buddy." I gently patted him and he seemed happy. I think. I can't tell with that constant expression. I laid back down and rested my eyes until the sun began to dip.

I peeked at Half-Oni who was still wringing out his long hair by the fire.
"Having some hair trouble?"
"Urgh, why's it gotta be so difficult! If only I had a towel or somethin'!"
"My coat was hanging for some time, maybe it's dry enough for you to use?" He raised his head to look at me, "Seriously? You sure?"
"Yeah, not sure how much it'll help though. I'll go get it."

I got up and collected my coat from the rock before returning, "Its getting dark so this is about as dry as it'll get." I told him and tried to not look at his torso area, staring at his eyes with increased concentration.

I threw the coat at him so that I didn't have to get any closer and he caught it, "Thanks." He began to dry his hair and I made my way back to my spot to sit down again.

After a few moments, he went uncharacteristically silent. "Uh... I might need some assistance." I opened my eyes and saw the coat was tangled in his hair and horns. "Aw geez. If there's a hole, I swear..."

I got up and carefully removed the coat without tearing it while he kept his ashamed gaze on the sand. While my hand momentarily combed through his surprisingly soft hair, I noticed the tips of some of the strands were streaked with a faint red colour. Did he dye it or was it natural, I wondered.

"How did you even manage to do this?"
"Honestly... I have no idea."
"(Sigh) Only you would be capable of something like this..."
"What is that supposed to mean?!" I smirked and didn't answer him on purpose, I simply unwrapped the coat and held it for him to see. "There. All done."

I slightly pouted my lips when I saw that the majority of the back part of his head was still wet and unkept, probably because he couldn't see back there. Speaking of not seeing back there, I never noticed the tattoos that ran down his back since he never took off the coat he usually wore.

I shook my head, forcing my attention back onto the issue at hand. "You're doing a terrible job. No wonder it's taking forever. Lemme help-" He flinched away from me, "Oh no you don't! My hair is strictly off limits!" He held up his hands like he wanted to karate chop me while I stared in utter bafflement.

"Nobody touches it but me." He snatched my coat back from me and rubbed his hair vigorously. I lowered my hands and looked at him with an unimpressed look. "Fine, no need to get your undies in a twist..." I rolled my eyes as I walked away from him.

"Someone's obsessed with himself..." I muttered under my breath. "I heard that." I smirked as I turned on my heel, "I never expected such a 'tough-guy' to fuss over his hair this much." I said in a slightly mocking tone with my hands on my hips.