Chapter 48

"Not a word about this." Eric's words echoed through my head as I grabbed some food.

So instead of making me do something stupid for being late, he helps me train only to threaten me afterwards that I can't say anything about it.

What could've been so interesting during my test? It seemed the exact same as the first one.

Maybe that's it! Maybe I did something wrong or weird the first time and Eric read about it in Four's report.

But then, assuming that I did something wrong the first time, why would he be so happy to see my second result? Maybe he's found something he could use to kick me out!

But that also doesn't make sense! Why would he want to spend his time training me if he's planning on kicking me out?

"Hey Rogue!" Mason said as he slammed his hand on my shoulder.

I jumped away from him as a reflex but when I saw that it was just Mason and Felix staring back at me, I took a deep breath and calmed myself down.

"You seemed far away." Felix commented as they both got themselves some food.

"Yeah just got some things on my mind that's all."

"Oh yeah I can imagine." Mason began as he swung his arm around my shoulder while I simply glared at him. "You know with tomorrow and everything. I mean the Dauntless born thankfully don't have such a big thing seeing as our parents and siblings are still in the same faction. But yeah I can definitely understand if you're feeling nervous."

I completely forgot about that! Tomorrow is visiting day! I wonder if they'll show up.

"I'm sure they'll come." Felix said after seeing me stare in the distance.

"Yeah I'm not so sure about that."

I sat on the edge of the table while Mason plopped in the seat next to me. "They're your parents. I'm sure they'll come. They might've seemed a little mad when you last saw them at the choosing ceremony but I'm sure that they've realized that you belong here by now and that they've forgiven you." Mason said as he took a big bite out of his hamburger.

Well they were a bit more than mad last time I saw them.

"Well you seem to be very sure that they'll show up." I huffed.

"They're your parents."

"Exactly."

"They'll come." Mason insisted. I just shook my shoulders to get rid of the subject.

I gave them a small smile and sighed: "I hope so."

Kayli will definitely do anything she can to be able to come and see me. I know she will. Maybe she'll even be able to persuade our parents. Knowing Kayli she might even be able to do that. Maybe Mason is right and my dad and mom calmed down since last time.

"Looking for someone?" Felix asked as he followed my gaze to the entrance of the pit.

"Have you two seen Four?" I asked.

"Not since the end of the test-"

"Yeah what was that all about?"

"What do you mean?" I asked wearily as I took another bite out of my sandwich.

"Oh you know, you're spending a lot of time with Eric lately-"

"Yeah! Most initiates only talk to him once. Maybe twice if you're a troublemaker like Mason over here." Felix said.

"It's nothing." I replied as I finished my sandwich.

"So when's the wedding and are we invited?" Mason joked which earned him a glare from me.

"We'd rather see each other dead on the bottom of the pit and preferably by our own hands."

"Hmm you're that close, huh?" Felix joked.

"Yup. We're besties." I replied sarcastically. "So do you think that Four is still at the simulations?"

"He could be. Maybe he's already done with cleaning up but I'd say it's worth a shot." Felix answered as he took his last bite.

I nodded and breathed out a quick "Thanks" before standing up and leaving them.

I really hoped that he'd be there. All I knew is that I should find him as soon as possible.

My breath quickened from anxiety the closer I got to the simulation room. Many scenarios had already passed my mind but, even though I was prepared for every single one of them, it wasn't enough to calm my nerves.

My eyes darted around the hall. Some Dauntless members passed me but none seemed suspicious. I glanced over my shoulder and saw the three Dauntless playfully push each other and laughing as one hit the wall. Definitely not a threat. As far as I can tell, no one is following me.

I pushed the door to the simulation room open with one hand and was immediately greeted by Four's alarmed eyes.

"What are you doing here, Rogue?" He asked as he shut down the computer and crossed his arms.

"I was looking for you."

He furrowed his brow "Why? Something wrong?"

"Guess you could say that." I huffed as I took a glance outside but no one was in my line of sight.

Four inspected me with caution "Anything to do with Eric?" he guessed.

I nodded and stepped away from the door. "I need to tell you something and if I mysteriously die, I need you to spread that fact faster than a bullet can hit its target. Can I trust you with that?"

"Hold on," Four said as he tilted his head "Mysteriously die-"

"Yeah yeah. I pissed off the wrong person." I quickly interrupted "But can I trust you with that? You can't tell anyone else once I tell you this."

Four nodded. "Yeah sure. Of course."

I glanced outside for the last time only to find the same empty hallway before turning to Four. "Eric, our faction leader, has kissed my little sister Kayli Doyle an under aged Erudite girl."

Four's eyes widened. "How do you know?"

"I was there. But it's important that you understand that this can't reach anyone's ears, understood? If anyone hears and this gets out, Eric will want to get my head for it. But if he kills me before it gets out. Please ruin his reputation and future career for me. He doesn't know who else knows but he knows that I'm not the only one who knows."

Four nodded slowly. "Your secret is safe with me. Although I doubt that Eric will kill you."

"Well he's already tried to kick me out of Dauntless."

"That was before he watched your test." Four countered.

I frowned in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"the way you handle the situations in there says something about the person. He watched you to be sure what kind of person he was dealing with. And you passed his test."

What kind of person? So he'll kill me when I hesitate with one of my fears? I mean, what else is there to be seen in these tests?

"But you've got yourself a deal." Four said as he slammed his hand on my shoulder and guided us through the door. "I won't tell a soul."

"Good."