Chapter 53

This was nerve wracking. My heart was racing. My fingers wouldn't stay still. My hands were cold.

I tried to calm myself down. Nothing had happened so far after all. All I'd done was sneak out of the dormitory. I figured it'd be easier for them to come get me here than in between all the other initiates and have them make a scene. They said that they wanted to keep it quiet after all.

The stone was cold against my back. It couldn't take long now. They'd be here any minute.

How would they execute me? The thought wouldn't leave my mind. 

Even if Evan managed to convince the leadership to revoke the verdict of execution, I knew Eric wouldn't leave it at that. My days would be numbered if I failed.

My eyes shot to the end of the hallway. The feint sound of steady footsteps approached. I took one last deep breath and pushed myself to my feet. From around the corner I saw Four and Evan approach me. They were silent and both stared ahead, both their eyes on me. It was a small comfort that I'd be escorted to the test by them. I trusted them. 

"You ready?" Four asked when they came into hearing distance. I gave a firm nod and let them tell me where to go.

"Any tips?" I breathed out.

"Just do what you always do. You'll be fine." Four answered.

I shook my head still skeptical.

We were silent for a moment. Nothing but the silent echoing of our feet resonating on the walls was audible. I didn't know where we were heading. We weren't heading towards the normal test area, that I knew.

"What do you know?" Evan asked sharply.

"What?"

Evan pulled me by my arm and made us three stop. Judging by the quick glimpse of Four's face, he also had no idea what Evan was on about. "What do you know about Eric. And don't play stupid with me. We all know that she'll be executed if she fails. Why would he do that?"

The layout of his office and a dirty little secret that no one can know. "I- I don't know." I stammered, hoping that he'd believe me. Even Evan wasn't allowed to know that secret. "I've seen the inside of his office?"

"So have loads of other factionless." Evan shook his head. "That can't be it."

So Evan doesn't know about the rooms behind Eric's office? Or is it not a big deal?

"Look," Four said as he placed his hand on Evan's chest to make him back off "It doesn't matter anymore-"

"Of course it matters! She could die." he whisper shouted.

"She won't." Four argued. "I've seen her do the test. She'll be fine."

Evan huffed and nodded with his hands in his side "And what if she's not? What if someone claims that they saw an irregularity?"

"Then we'll deal with it." Four turned to me. Which in turn made Evan turn to me. "You won't be executed. You've got Evan and Tris who'd fight for you without a second thought and I control the test."

I nodded with a small smile and took a deep breath. It did made me feel more safe. It made me feel like I'd actually found some trustworthy allies in this faction that seemed so ruthless.

The walk was confusing. The halls were dark and abandoned. Every now and then we'd hear someone stumble from the bar to their home but Evan and Four were ordered to keep me out of sight. We headed towards the pit. A place I did not expect to go to. They guided me towards the shopping area. More specifically, the blacksmith. 

Evan placed his hand on my shoulder and nudged me towards the shop. The familiar sight of the varied display of weapons confused me. Is this where I'd do the test? Why here? 

A door in the back was opened by a leader I didn't know. He looked old by Dauntless standards. It was funny how I'd be allowed into Dauntless if I passed this test but yet I couldn't even name all the leaders here. It had never really come up when I was around the Dauntless born but would there be some sort of a secret test for people who think they made it? Or a follow up course that you have to follow once you've made it to actually be trained in Dauntless stuff?

The guy nodded as I passed him. I felt nervous. It all felt so official. Everyone looked like they had their shit together. Like they knew what they were doing.

"So you're Rogue." he said after I'd taken a quick look around the room. It wasn't big. Just a small storage area that had been cleaned out so that the computer and chair fit. The chair was in the middle and there was enough room to stand around it.

I nodded in response. He huffed as he eyed me up and down. "I don't know why but I'd imagined you to be covered in tattoos by now." he paused and held his hand out "I'm Thorn."

"Cool name." I replied.

In the course of the next few minutes everyone arrived and did what they had to to get ready. Everyone was focused. Tris greeted me while Eric nodded as he walked in. He was accompanied by another leader whose name I learned was Jared. His hair was bright green and I wondered why I'd never seen him before.

I felt so little and insignificant between all these leaders. All of them, here to see me. To say that I was nervous would be an understatement. I tried to calm down but the tension in my muscles wouldn't subside.

The restlessness became worse when the words "It's all set up." left Four's lips. Soon they told me to sit in the chair as Four injected me with the serum.

The last thing I remember is looking at the people who were gonna be my judge and jury. I went over their faces one by one.

Thorn, who was on the left of me. He seemed calm and hadn't spoken much to the others so far.

Jared, who had been discussing some things on a hushed tone with Eric.

Eric, who was right in front of me and, so far, had acted like he was pretty neutral towards the whole thing.  

Tris, who smiled encouragingly.

And lastly, Evan, who was on the right of me. He nodded with a strong grin as I felt sleepier by the second. 

Then I blinked.