Chapter 8

Randa gave me ointment for the burn. She said that I had to apply it every day for three to five days. She also told me to try to stay out of fights but, knowing Dauntless, that isn't going to happen. We left after I sneakily stole a banana.

Evan never made eye contact with me after what the woman said. He'd dropped me off and said a quick goodnight. I went back to the dormitory but stopped in front of the door. I listened to the door to try to figure out if the others were in there. After a few seconds I heard Liz and Isa giggle about something and Daniel complain. They're probably all there. Okay. I pushed the door open with my shoulder and the laughter immediately stopped. Yay, I'm the mood killer. Again. I saw that I was right about all of them being here. Isa and Liz were sitting on the same bed. Mike was on the one next to it and for some reason Daniel was face first on the ground. They all stopped what they were doing and stared at me.

"Jesus Rogue, did Eric made you stay that long? It is nine o clock!" Liz said.

"What did you have to do?" Daniel asked while getting up from the ground.

"Did you make out with him?" Isa asked. Everybody looked at her questioningly. Isa stared back like it was the normallest thing in the world and said

"What? She was alone with Eric for three hours. Plus they are both..." She whispered something to the rest. Of course she thought I didn't hear it. I was still at the other side of the room. What she didn't know is that I'd developed the skill eavesdropping since I was a kid and I kind of mastered it now. They are both kinda scary. 

Isa thought I was scary. For some reason I like that idea. Once she said it Liz and Mike rolled their eyes and Liz and Isa began talking again. Apparently they were going shopping tomorrow and Isa wasn't sure if she would get a dress or a skirt. Oh please, now it's my turn to roll my eyes.

I wanted to sleep. My legs were still tired and I could use it even though it was only 9 PM. Maybe I'll just change into something I can sleep in and then I'll go to sleep. I could use my old clothes. I went over to my bed. Something is wrong. My clothes aren't here! They must've taken it! Oh no. What about my bracelet? The one my sister gave me. I can't have lost that. Where did I leave it? Under my pillow right? 

I lifted my pillow but the sheets were either just changed or they were pulled straight because someone looked through them. Knowing Dauntless and Eric probably the last one.

I lost it? They took it and got rid of it? Nonononono. This can't happen! This was the only thing I had left from my sister. 

Wait

Did I put it under my pillow?

I checked my pocket and felt the fabric brush against my fingertips. It was still here. Thank god. But I need to do something about it. I can't wear it when it's blue and I can't hide it forever.

I should dye it!

But where can I get black dye?

I heard footsteps getting closer so I turned around to see Mike.

"Hey, the girls want to go shopping since we had to burn our clothes. Wanna come?"

Normally I would decline, but I needed new clothes and it would be awkward to say no now and then accidentally run into them at the shop.

"Okay."

Mike smiled relieved and everyone got up to leave. "So... you were here when they took our clothes?" I asked.

"Yeah when we got back from training there were three guys standing in front of the door, waiting for us. They made us gather our old clothes and we had to burn them. I had to burn yours, since you weren't here and they didn't want to wait. They were really suspicious; they even had us undo all the beds."

They would've found my bracelet if I hadn't forgotten it!

"Well, thanks for burning my clothes?"

Mike laughed but his laugh soon stopped and he asked "Is that bandage?" pointing to my wrist. 

"Uhm... Yes."

"Jesus what did Eric do? Tie you up or something? Play with knifes?"

"Just... don't get on his bad side." Mike frowned but didn't press the subject.

When we reached the clothing shops Isa dragged Liz to the dress section while Daniel, Mike and me just stood there. "So uhm, We're gonna go to the men section..." Daniel said after ten seconds of silence. 

Daniel started complaining about that his arms still hurt from the training and they left me alone. Okay, I'll just find it myself. Secretly I was happy that I ended up alone. I mean I don't want Isa's opinion or Mike's or something.

I looked through the racks. After half a minute I picked a very dark red sleeveless t-shirt with a leather jacket which was cut of by the waist and some black tight pants. I knew my size so I didn't really needed to try it on. Maybe Dauntless has different sizes. No that's stupid. It's all made by the same people. 

After I tried it on, because I freaked myself out, I knew I was right about it being made by the same people. I got two more basic outfits to sleep in and some eyeliner. I couldn't find black dye though. Daniel and Mike were also done so they were waiting for Isa to finish. I didn't really want to go to them. Waiting would equal talking and talking is not my thing. I decided to just pay for it.

"Hi." the girl behind the counter said. She had short black hair and brown eyes. She was tall and had a willowy frame.

"Hi." I said while placing my items on the counter. She told me the price and I payed. It was a lot all together but we'd gotten enough to make a start here. "Uhm do you know where I can find black dye?"

"Black dye? Why would you need that?"

"Just a project."

She eyed my suspiciously. "Okay what kind of dye? like hair dye?"

"No something for fabric."

"We have some in the back, for when we get clothes which aren't dyed correctly. I could dye it for you but I can't give it away."

Could I trust her? She doesn't seem like someone who would burn our memories but then again everyone is supposed to follow the rules. I can't keep hiding the bracelet forever and it will only get worse if they find it later on. I need to get it dyed. I need to trust her. Dammit

"Okay." I said slowly. I looked around to see if anyone was looking. "Here." I gave her the bracelet. She didn't seemed like she was shocked. Maybe a little bit surprised. "Please don't report it." I added quietly. She took the bracelet and hid it.

"You'll get it back tomorrow. Just come here tomorrow morning."

I nodded and thanked her. I glanced over at the rest. They were all commenting on Isa her dress while she twirled. Ugh. I told Mike that I was tired and left.

Late that night I woke up by the sound of someone crying. Normally that would just annoyed me but this time the image of my sister shot through my mind. What would she be doing? Sleeping of course stupid. Just like you should. A single tear escaped my eye and I drifted off into another dreamless sleep.