Chapter 50

Eric slammed his hands on the table as he rose from his chair. Eyes glaring at me as a dog would before he attacks. I stared back but with my head slightly bent to the ground. I knew that what we'd done was wrong and that he had every right to yell. 

Next to me I saw Thomas shuffle awkwardly. Eric's gaze shifted to him and I could practically feel him freeze up out of nervousness.

"Why did you sneak out without authorization to do so?" he barked at him.

Thomas opened his mouth after trying to get rid of the lump in his throat. "I- I uh..." he stumbled.

My fingers tapped impatiently against the rough fabric of my pants. Their reactions made sense, I knew that, but we didn't have this kind of time to casually discuss who's fault it was. I didn't care who he'd blame right now. It could be me for all I cared. But if we didn't do something, people would die.

I cleared my throat until Eric's glare fell on me. "We don't have this kind of time."

Eric huffed a quick response and leaned against his desk. His arms folded over each other and hugged his chest while his head hung low and deep in thought. 

A silent few seconds passed. The air was thick with tension and with a lot at risk but nothing I could do, I waited.

Suddenly Eric's voice boomed "Guards!" Both me and Thomas tensed up from the sudden outburst and a few seconds later, a small group of four armed guards rushed inside. Their guns ready, but not pointed at anyone yet.

"Get the team. Tell them to hurry to the train. I'll brief them there." he spoke calmly. The guards nodded and ran out.

Eric got to his feet and brushed past us. It wasn't until he'd reached the door that he turned around and looked at us. 

"You two stay here. Don't touch anything." He growled "I'll take care of you when I get back." And with that he slammed the door shut.

The room fell silent after the echo left. Thomas and I exchanged looked at each other only to find what we already knew; we were fucked.

"At least they took it seriously." Thomas sighed.

"Yeah I'm not sure that that was a good thing."

He nodded in defeat. 

The time dragged on as we sat on the ground. We didn't know how far Eric would take the don't touch anything rule so we advised ourselves to stay as safe as possible. 

It felt like hours before the door opened again. Both me and Thomas shot up from the floor and tried to get the aching bones to act normal. Eric walked in first. His face masked any emotion. After him Brendan and Mason followed him before the door closed behind them. No one, not even Mason, said a thing.

Just as I turned my head to look at Mason, Eric began to talk. "Who's idea was it." he spoke calmly.

"Mine." I answered. 

"Why." he asked.

"They wouldn't tell me what their secret place was that they kept talking about, so I made them show me."

A small pause caused the room to feel empty again. This time there was no tension in the air. Just something that caused slight discomfort but I couldn't quite grasp. 

"Okay." he spoke and dismissed us with the wave of his hand. As we turned around and headed for the door I heard him say the dreaded words. "Not you, Rogue."

I nodded and walked back, not knowing what to expect.

The door fell back into its lock but Eric kept silent. Even when the footsteps of the others had faded away into background noise, he kept quiet. It wasn't until a minute later that he spoke up with the same calm voice he'd used before.

"Any future training you had with both me, four or anyone else have been cancelled."

He paused as he stared at my confused expression. "You will not become a factionless." he continued. "That won't be an option."

I didn't know if he wanted me to react in the little pauses that he had, but I decided against it and kept my mouth shut. 

"Your last test, your exam if you will, will take place tonight at 3 AM. You won't be graded alongside your fellow initiates. This will be done in secret."

He paused again. "If you fail this test, you will not become factionless."

A wave of confusion and happiness hit me until he continued his sentence.

"You will be executed."