Chapter 54

It was dark. The hallway was old, muffy. As if I'd landed in stupid, stereotypical horror story. The floorboards creaked as I stepped forward. I glanced around and over my shoulder but it just seemed to be a normal corridor. Left and right were doors with faded golden numbers. Like the building hadn't been used in decades.

Suddenly I heard drumming. Soft at first but it gradually became louder. A weird form of tension hung in the air and I couldn't help but to feel nervous. The drumming turned to footsteps. So many. I couldn't move. I was too scared to look around the corner. An occasional scream of terror accompanied the herd moving towards me. For a second I imagined the herd of people to be horrible disfigured monsters coming towards me.

I shook all the possible images out of my head and took a deep breath. Just as I'd gathered the courage to look what it was, a guy ran up to me from around the corner. His breath was ragged. He was clutching his bloodied arm. His eyes wide in panic.

"What's happening?" I urged.

He shook his head in disbelieve. "Don't you know?"

Don't I know what?

"You gotta get out of here..." he continued while glancing behind him with a look of terror.

"Don't I know what?" I insisted "What's chasing you?"

"You gotta run." He grabbed my arm and pulled me closer. "It's... Almost... Here." he whispered.

As on cue, the building began to shake. A large crack appeared above us. The guy screamed in terror as he sprung to his feet and took off again.

What don't I know? What's chasing us?

I panicked. Not knowing what I'd be up against. It could be anything. Why didn't I know what happened here? How could I be missing this important information?

Not knowing what I was getting myself into, I stumbled back. I didn't know what to do. Should I fight?Should I run and get backup?

The building shook again, throwing me off balance.

As I got back on my feet, I realized that I couldn't help it. Staying on the ground wasn't going to get me any answers. The only way I'd get answers and determine if I should go back to get backup is if I get to see what we're up against. All I could do now was ready myself for whatever that guy was running from. I unsheathed my knife and let the handle roll in the palm of my hand. The weight and shape gave me the courage to jump around the corner.

There was nothing. The building wasn't shaking anymore. All I saw were stairs leading downwards. I frowned in confusion and looked to my left, into the hallway that the guy had taken off in. But it was gone.

Instead, I was in a room I'd never seen before. Before I could look around, a dauntless member ran in and shut the door behind her.

"They're coming!" she shrieked while making eye contact with me.

I felt the severity of the situation. I couldn't remember how but I knew that people were coming for us to take us down.

I glanced around the room, trying to find a way to escape, but it was in vain; there was no quick exit. We were trapped. 

The only thing we could do was defend this room and hope we could make a break for it the same way we got in.

I eyed her wearily as she sat in front of the door. I didn't know her. I didn't trust her. What if she'd just shoot me to show that she means well towards the people who are coming for us? 

I pushed my paranoia aside and told her my plan; she'd open the door and run to my side while I'd cover her. And she'd join me in shooting when she'd be at my side.