Chapter 28

I woke up by people talking. I didn't open my eyes just yet. I felt that I was lying on a cold hard surface. The floor? A table? I felt something around my wrists, torso and feet. Was I tied down?

"She should be awake by now, right?"

"Just give her the serum right now."

"No! We don't know what will happen when we mix the serum with the sleep... thingy. It might kill her!"

Someone huffed and poked my arm "Maybe that's better. She's guilty, I know it."

"You don't know it. Why do you think so?"

"She fought off a shit load of Dauntless guards just because she didn't want this serum. She is better off dead. She's unstable."

"You should be more careful with your mouth moron." I said while opening my eyes. They both jumped back from the table I was on. "You never know who hears it. It might be someone unstable who knows how to fight."

The guy looked terrified but didn't take his words back. Figures, I mean we are at Candor. I took a quick glance around. I was laying on a metal table and as I thought, I was tied to the table. Cheesus, I'm not that scary. Next to the table was an other table with a needle. It was filled with a cloudy blue liquid. 

One of the guys found his courage and walked to the table. I watched him the whole way but didn't say a thing. A Dauntless girl approached me from behind and held my head back, my neck was clearly visible. 

The guy wiped my neck off with some antiseptic wipe. It felt cold and uncomfortable since my head was tilted back. He took the needle and hesitated for a second. 

"Dude, what are you waiting for? Just do it."

He placed his fingers on my neck and I felt a sting. I thought that the serum would have some sort of effect on me, but it didn't. Well that's what I thought at least. Everything looked the same, like nothing weird happened. The guys removed my bindings and guided me to the courtroom.

The first thing I noticed were the amount of people here. I'd been hoping that since I'm an initiate that not a lot of people were interested in my trial. The opposite was true. The voices of all the Candor members echoed in the large room. I got nervous so I tried to focus on something else.

The tiles were white in the courtroom, just as white as in the office earlier. The room was surprisingly light. The symbol of Candor, the two unbalanced scales, was painted on the floor and in the middle stood one chair. 

As soon as we walked into the courtroom someone spoke up.

"You're late."

I saw that the man who spoke was the representative of Candor, Jack Kang.

"She refused to take the serum and it got a little... heated." one of the Dauntless guards said.

I rolled my eyes. The guards pushed me to the chair and stepped a few steps back. The voices had stopped as soon as Jack had spoken so he could begin right away.

"I will ask you a series of simple questions so that you can grow accustomed to the serum as it takes full effect." He paused but when he saw that I wasn't going to answer him, he continued "Now, what is your name?"

"Rogue" I said without thinking.

"That's a weird name. What's your full name?"

"Rogue Doyle."

"Who are your parents."

I looked down. All the people here are making me nervous and they are asking me questions I don't like for some reason. How can I don't like a question? That doesn't make sense.