Chapter 51

Eric had dismissed me after his speech. My throat was dry and hands were sweaty. I cursed myself for getting late on that first day. For speaking up against the other transfers that had led to me becoming the first jumper. Why did things go the way they did? And how did I end up in the position where I'd be executed if I failed an exam?

As I already expected, Eric had not explained anything. Not why he'd chosen execution. Not who knew of this arrangement. Nothing.

I felt dizzy and leaned against the cool rock for a second.

In a way it was weird that I was suddenly so nervous for the possibility of death. I'd faced dangerous and probably deadly situations before but this seemed more definite. I couldn't fight the verdict of execution.

Well there's nothing I can do about it anymore. My faith still lays in my own hands. I just have to pass that test and as far as I understand, I haven't failed it yet.

I took a deep breath and calmed myself down. There was nothing I could do about it anymore anyway. I told myself to suck it up and accept the fact that I could be dead within a less than a day.

When I'd recollected myself, I continued my way to the Dauntless born dormitory. I figured that the others would be there. Where Mason would be. I still wanted to know what had happened when he was being held hostage by the factionless.

On the way to the dormitory, I passed the pit. Everyone was busy running around to prepare for the transfer families. It wasn't for another hour that they were expected to be here but everyone was rushing like they should've already be here. I shook my head and ran the rest of the way to the dormitory.

There in the corner of the room Mason sat surrounded by his friends. They'd pushed three beds together in a triangle shape so that they had a little circle to hang out in.

As I approached them, they turned around and welcomed me. Brendan immediately pulled me next to him and began bombarding me with questions.

"What did he do? Did you get in trouble? Why'd you take the blame like that?"

"Calm down." I shushed him with a little smile. You're gonna die. My smile disappeared. "Nah he wasn't mad. Don't worry."

I cleared my throat and looked at the others until my eyes lingered on Mason. "So what happened with Mason?"

"He won't tell us." Thomas answered.

Mason shook his head and leaned with his back against the wall.

"I would've told you what happened if Eric hadn't ordered a guard to take me back to the compound." Brendan huffed.

"You're mad about being taken away from a possibly deadly situation?" Thomas asked.

"Well no but don't you think that that was the safest place to be? Surrounded by the elite group?"

"What's the elite group?" I asked.

Both Brendan and Thomas stared at me like I had three heads.

"Only the goal for every single Dauntless born." Brendan nearly shouted in my ear. "They're the best of the best! A group so elite, that it's nearly impossible to join them."

"Don't you think that she has a shot though, Brendan?" Thomas said as he squinted and looked me up and down. "She's got the first place to her name already. And you've seen her fight."

I shook my head. I'll be dead tomorrow anyway. "Nah guys I make way too many mistakes to be elite in anything."

"I agree with her." Brendan joked as he nudged me with his elbow.