Chapter 41

I left the others at the table and went to get to get myself an other muffin. How dare they ruin the life of such an innocent muffin. He did nothing wrong. 

Just when I reached out for a muffin, my hand brushed against someone else's hand. I quickly looked up, embarrassed by myself, and saw Evan looking back at me.

"Oh hi."Evan said as he handed me the muffin "You're up early. How have you been?"

"Oh just the usual... Getting thrown into jail, losing capture the flag, getting an other transfer expelled, being hunted by the other transfers... How have you been doing?" I added sarcastically.

"Geez. So it's true?" Evan asked as we walked away from the pit. I saw that Tris nodded and mouthed that I shouldn't wait for her.

"What is?"

"That Isa said that she would kill you?"Evan saw me eye him suspiciously and added "I'm one of the leaders in Dauntless. We take the initiation seriously. We discussed this situation yesterday night."

"So all the leaders got access to the results of the initiates? And they actually talk about them?" I asked curious.

"Yeah."

"What is being said about me?"

Evan grinned slightly. "Who says I am allowed to share that information?"

"Are you going to share that information?"

Evan smiled again and slightly bumped my shoulder. "You're fine. Don't worry about it. We've discussed the option of you being the murderer but there were too many loose ends and we agreed on letting you walk freely."

"You're wrong."

"What?"

"I'm not allowed to walk freely." I said on a quieter tone. 

"Yes you are, what are you-"

"No. I'm being tailed."

"By who?" Evan said as he subtly glanced around for suspicious activity. "And how do you know?"

I glanced over to him to see if he was still looking around. After a few seconds he gave up and stared back at me. "You need to train your people at being quieter."

"What? You know what, never mind. I'll discuss your situation with Eric." Evan said and walked away.

Like that's gonna help.

The hours flew by and before I knew it, the initiates were being gathered in the pit. Eric, Four and the other instructor all stood in the middle of the pit, waiting for us. Slowly and one by one the initiates came in. In the corner of my eye I saw Liz walk in with the rest. Mason soon followed and tried to get some random chitchat going on but got cut off by Eric.

"Gather around!" he shouted.

I walked to the other transfers since Eric made some obvious signs that I should stand with them. While the other transfers stood together like friends, I kept to myself next to them but near them.

"Today we'll begin the second part of initiation." Eric explained the details about the second part. We had to take a serum like we'd done for the aptitude test but this one wouldn't give us random scenarios. No, this one would give us scenarios based of our darkest and deepest fears. 

I'd read about something like this back in Erudite. I hadn't known that it was used for one of the Dauntless tests but it had caught my eye. There had been two rapports. One of them was a rapport about the test itself, the scientific part. And the other one had been the test results. Most people had about 10 to 15 fears. Of course there were some people who deviated from this average.

I wonder how many I'll have. 

The idea of the test was to conquer our fears in the littlest time possible. Of course that was easier said than done. Just the waiting room was terrifying. Both the Dauntless born and the transfers had to wait together until your name was called and you had to take the test. 

The people who'd taken the test all came out completely shaken up and some even unable to stand. 

Mason had been blabbing the ears of our heads. He was obviously very nervous and I wasn't sure if I should be gratefull for his distraction or punch him in the face for not shutting up.

The door opened and a girl wobbled outside with tears in her eyes that she refused to let fall. I didn't knew the girl but in a way she calmed me down. I stared at her face as she walked past us and headed to her bed or friends. For just a second I imagined her life in front of me. What would she be thinking about? Maybe she's rethinking her descision to stay with her family and choosing Dauntless. Maybe she's thinking about her friends that still have to go or the ones that already went.

"Rogue."

Oh no.