Chapter 52

I took the long way to the training room. The further I got away from the pit, the quieter it became. In the distance I heard people approaching. I had no intention of talking and was sick and tired of seeing people so I took a right turn through a smaller hallway which led to another right turn and a left. It was a whole new part of Dauntless that I hadn't seen yet, the back allies. It sparked my curiosity for adventure and I kept walking.

"What gives you the right?!" I heard a familiar voice hiss; Evan. I'd never heard him this angry.

"It was a judgement call." Eric replied calmly to which I heard Evan huff.

I hid far enough to have an escape route but close enough to hear what they were talking about.

"You can't call an execution for that reason."

They're talking about me?

"She still has a chance to pass the test."

"She's not divergent-"

"Keep your voice down!" Eric hushed.

What's a divergent? It sounds vaguely familiar.

"You know she isn't. Four told me that you visited her last test. We're not stupid, Eric. If you'd found something, she'd be dead already."

"Watch your tongue." he hissed. 

"Why then? You think she faked the test? It's not possible to fake the test, you know that."

"Well let her prove it then. If she's able to pass it the first time, she'll do it a second time."

A thick tension filled pause fell upon them. The seconds ticked away in which I could hear my heart beat the loudest. Finally it was Evan who broke the silence.

"I won't let this decision pass." he spoke "You can kick her out by all means, but you've got no ground to stand on if you want to get her executed."

Eric laughed shortly and said: "She's seen too much."

"She couldn't have seen anything that you wouldn't be able to explain."

"Careful now." Eric growled in discontent.

"The rest of us will be there." Evan insisted after a short pause.

Dauntless leadership? They're gonna watch me do my exam?

"Why? Are you questioning my authority?" Eric growled.

"Yes. Yes I a-" 

The thud of a fist hitting meat resonated through the hall. I slowly backed away from the scene, suddenly very aware that I should not get caught. I heard Eric's and Evan's voices as I backed up. They were about to leave too. When I felt like I was far enough, I turned around and speed walked my way out of there. It wasn't until I'd turned around the corner and resumed my way to the training room, that I let myself breathe again.

On my way there I had lots to think about. Maybe I did stand a chance. With Dauntless leadership watching my test, there'd be no way for Eric to pass an innocent mistake as a 'divergent' thing. 

The word kept haunting my thoughts till far after I started training again. Basic cardio couldn't get the questions out of my head. In a way it had cleared things. It made sense that he would kill me if I failed; I had too much valuable information to let me go anywhere else but here. Even the information of what his personal training room looks like and contains is worth a lot to potential enemies. 

That part was clear. But I couldn't remember where I'd seen the word 'divergent' before even if my life depended on it. I'd gone through what I could remember of my Dauntless research complete with many fighting styles and names but nothing matched.

"Watch out everyone! Because this girl can fight!"Brendan exclaimed. I glanced over my shoulder and saw him leaning in the doorway.

"Where'd you leave the rest of your squad?"

"They were opposed to eating the amount that a healthy boy should." he replied as he walked in and sat on the edge of the fighting plateau. "Don't think that I'll train with you. This is gonna take a while before it reaches my stomach."

I smiled and turned back to the dummy. Just before my fist made impact, I heard Brendan gasp. 

"We have to go!" he exclaimed while he sprang to his feet.

"Where?"

"Your family! They're visiting!"

"Brend-"

"They would've arrived a couple of minutes ago," he looked at the clock next to the door "Or half an hour. Doesn't matter! We can't let them wait."

"Bre-"

"Just make sure you introduce me to them, alright?"

"Brendan!" I shouted which finally got his attention. I took the crumbled note out of my pocket and handed it to him before going back to punching my dummy.

The room was silent as he read the note. Feint punches and kicks were the only thing resonating through the room. That was until Brendan spoke up.

"So they didn't come?" he said as he lowered the note.

"No."

"Oh... Well I'm sorry." he stumbled awkwardly.

"It's fine. I never expected them to show up anyway." I stopped punching the beaten up dummy and turned around to face him.

"Not that close, huh?" he joked trying to lighten the mood.

"I guess you could say that." I laughed and drummed with my fingers against the side of my leg.

Brendan laughed lightly and motioned for me to come with him. I figured since training wouldn't do me any good, I could follow him. He made some small talk while we wandered through the endless halls. He was halfway through his story when he stopped and asked me: "Are you nervous?"

I laughed lightly and shrugged it off. "Nah, why would I be?"

He shrugged as well "I don't know. You just seem on edge today. We figured it was because of visiting day..." I crossed my arms.

"Nah..." I replied as I shook my head and tried to block the thoughts of my upcoming exam. "I'm just tired. I think I'll go to bed early tonight."

Brendan nodded. "Oh! By the way, before I forget, Felix had the grand idea to go on an early morning run tomorrow. You know, before the usual training."

Shit shit shit! What do I tell him? I can't just casually mention that I might be dead tomorrow morning.

"So would you like to join?" 

"Uhm," I said "Sure."

Might as well make everything look normal. I doubt that Eric would be okay with me causing suspicion.

"Okay! I'll tell the others."