Chapter 40

The next day I got woken up by Tris. She gently shook my shoulder. I wasn't used to someone waking me up like that and I didn't instantly remembered where I was. Out of panic I punched her in the stomach. She groaned and stepped back.

"Oh shit!" I shrieked and jumped up. "Sorry!" 

"It's fine." she said while holding her stomach and frowning slightly.

"What happened?" Four asked as he walked around the corner into view.

"It's nothing." Tris said with a slight smile.

"I accidentally punched her!" I said still freaking out. Way to go dipshit! Someone decides to help you and you punch them.

Four looked at me questioningly and walked over  to Tris. "You okay?"

"I'm fine." she said with a comforting smile but Four didn't buy it. 

"If you're fine then why are you holding your stomach?"

"I'm so sorry!" I said in the background.

Tris slightly lifted her shirt to look at it. The spot I'd punched was red and about as wide as my hand. Four inspected it and come to the conclusion that it would most definitely bruise.

"Ah shit. I'm sorry!" I said again.

Tris smiled at me and waved her hand. "It's fine, really. I woke you up to see if you were hungry. Four and I were about to head to the pit."

"What time is it?" I asked awkwardly and still not convinced that she was fine.

"It's six."

No wonder I'm still tired.

I hesitated for a second until I realized that it wasn't really an option. I was in their house. They were leaving, that means that I have to go as well.

"Okay." I said while taking a deep breath to wake up.

Tris gave me a small smile and we left. The entire way to the pit I was thinking. None of us were talking. I feel like I'm playing house with them and they're my parents. This is slightly awkward. But I can't go back. I'd take awkwardness over death. Maybe they'll think of something. I can't live with them until the end of the initiation, right?

Once we reached the pit it was already pretty crowded even though it was only six AM. I ignored most people and went to get my morning muffin. 

Apparently Tris had made it her personal goal to become friends with me. I'd gotten some food and sat down at the edge of an empty table. In the corner of my eye, I saw her drag Four with her to my table and she sat down next to me. She gave me a small smile again and began to eat.

After I'd eaten everything in silence, I reached for my muffin only for it to be punched out of my hand. Who dares to spoil my muffin?! When I looked up I saw Liz, Mike and Daniel. In the corner of my eye I saw Tris looking at us with confusion while Four was missing. 

"What do you want?" I hissed through my gritted teeth. How could they spoil an innocent muffin?

"You don't even know what you've done, do you?!" Liz shouted angrily.

"What this time?" I asked with a sigh.

"You've got Isa expelled! Isabella is gone. Forever! She's been cut."

Isa's gone?

"Not even the slightest emotion? You don't have emotions! Even a small smile would've made sense! Now it's like Isa's gone for nothing!" Liz said while getting choked up. Mike put his hand on her shoulder and pulled her in for a hug.

No more Isa?

"Eric announced it this morning." Daniel continued "He said that Dauntless takes death threats very seriously and handles them accordingly. He had armed guards with him and she was transported out of the compound immediately."

"I didn't even get to say goodbye." Liz said with an distant expression. When her eyes fell on me, rage filled her eyes. "It's your fault!" she shouted and punched the table.

"It was her own fault." Tris said with a serious expression. "Isa made the choice to handle it like that and you know that that isn't the Dauntless way."

Liz and Daniel jumped at Tris's voice. They hadn't seen her and most certainly hadn't expected her to side with me.

"Who do you think you are?" Mike asked more confused than hostile.

"I'm Tris, one of the leaders here at Dauntless."

Their eyes went wide and they awkwardly scurried off.

"They won't leave me alone now that they've lost Isa." I said after a while. Tris nodded her head.

"No they won't. Do you think that you're still in danger? I would say you are but I don't know them that well."

"I honestly don't know. Liz was Isa's best friend but she also disagreed with lot's of her opinions. Daniel is just a pushover who walks with the largest group and Mike follows Liz. So it basically depends on Liz. And I have no idea what she'll do."

"Do you know any Dauntless members?"

"Well... I've met Mason's older brother." I'll just leave it at that "But that's about it."

"Well, don't worry. We'll find a way-"

"Hey Rogue." some of Mason's friends said as they plopped down on the opposite side of the table. Tris eyed them suspiciously but didn't say anything.

"Hi. Where's Mason?"

Some started laughing while one reached for his swollen cheek. "He uh... didn't wanted to stand up this early."

"Yeah speaking of that, why are you guys up so early?"

"Felix couldn't sleep and heard that something had happened at the transfers. we wanted to know if it was true."

"Well, what did you hear?"

"Loads of things actually." Felix began. "At first I'd only heard something about a transfer who was excused from sleeping in the dormitory but on our way here we heard many more."

"Yeah! Like some transfers making a ruckus. Transfer being expelled. Transfers fighting each other-"

"So we thought: who can we ask what is true? So we thought of you since you're the only transfer that talks to us."

"The only transfer that talks to you?" I said mockingly "Have you tried talking to the others?"

"Well... no..." they stuttered "But they haven't talked to us either!"

"Hmm. I see. Solid argument." I joked as I began to get up.

"Wha- where are you going?"

"To get a new muffin."