Chapter 11

"Girl's, wake up!" Mother's voice rang like music from downstairs.

Emma opened one eyelid and then snapped it shut again with a moan. Don't tell me I slept in! she thought to herself. Mother never woke her unless she was almost late for school. But her sleep had felt so sweet that morning.

"Lizzy," she began in a sleepy voice, "go downstairs and see what time it is." She shoved her little sister out of bed to make sure she obeyed her command. Then she let her mind doze one more time as she heard Elizabeth stumble out of the room. It wasn't long before both Lizzy's bare feet and Mother's boots came noisily up the stairs.

"Emiline," Mother called softly. Emma opened her eyes and looked up at the lady. "Wake up, my love. We have so much to do today."

"We do?" the girl asked, crawling out of bed.

"Yes. You've done so well on all of your chores lately, but we still have some things to finish up this morning. I need you and Lizzy to get your room all tidied up, and after that you—" A knock on the door interrupted Mother's list of tasks. She urged her daughters to get busy as soon as possible and then hurried downstairs.

As Emiline slipped her dress on and combed her hair, she listened carefully to the noises downstairs.

"It's the postman again!" she said happily, hearing Mr. Thompson's polite voice. "I wonder what we got this time?"

She made her bed as quickly as she could, stuffed some of Elizabeth's toys into the closet, and then tidied her nightstand. Her bedroom would have been beautiful if it hadn't been messy most of the time. She had a little collection of wonderful books on her windowsill and all kinds of pretty knick-knacks set up for decorations. Most of the things were homemade, and none of them could compare to the treasures that Susan had in her bedroom, but they still gave Emiline joy. Once the bedroom looked a little bit cleaner, Emma ran downstairs eagerly.

"Mother, where's the letter?" she asked brightly. "Who was it from? Can I read it?"

She found her mother in the kitchen stirring a bowl of something to bake. "Not right now, love," Mother answered quickly. "Right now, I need you to hustle. Go milk the cow and feed the chickens. Breakfast should be ready by then."

Emiline hesitated with a feeling of shock and curiosity. She couldn't read the letter? But I always get to read Mother's letters, she thought in surprise. Something strange was definitely going on.

That morning, Mother was as sweet as could be, but Emiline couldn't help noticing that there was something different about her.

She's hiding something, the girl thought, eating her breakfast with great speed, but what? She wracked her brain for answers, but by the time she had put on her coat and was heading to school, she still hadn't solved the mystery. At last, the puzzle began fitting together. Maybe Mr. Thompson didn't give us a letter at all! she thought excitedly. Maybe it was a package! Maybe Grandma Adler sent us something special! That's it! It has to be! Her cheeks warmed with joy. Oh, I can't wait!

She really couldn't imagine what the surprise was going to be. She had tossed so many ideas around in her mind. But really, she hadn't a clue.

All through her lessons, Emiline found herself getting distracted with thoughts about the present Grandma had sent. Once in a while, she wrote down ideas on her chalkboard. Could it be a new dress? Or maybe a box of homemade candy? Grandma made wonderful homemade taffy. It wasn't as good as the chocolates and caramels which Susan took to school, but it would satisfy any sweet tooth.