Chapter 17

Groans; that was the sound Emiline had heard every morning since Grandma Adler had come. Even if the girl had wanted to feel happy that day, the sound of Grandma's moans and complaints put her in a bad mood. As the weeks drew on, it became clear that Grandma had planned a very long and miserable visit. But one Saturday, things were a little bit different.

"Good morning, Emiline!" Grandma greeted cheerfully. She was standing in the kitchen, a little apron tied around her waist and a spoon in her hand.

"Good morning, Grandma," Emma said. Her voice sounded surprised. "Are you...feeling alright today?"

"I couldn't feel better! At least, not at my age," the old woman laughed teasingly. She was stirring a pot of porridge which had just begun to bubble, and she had already made a pot of coffee. It wasn't like her to be so busy. Usually she just sat around and let everyone else do things for her.

"Where's Mother?" Emma asked, looking around.

"Shhh," Grandma warned, pressing a long finger to her thin lips. "She fell back to sleep on the couch, and we mustn't wake her, now must we? She's been working very hard, and I can tell she's tired. Now, my dear, run and grab that milk pail you're so familiar with, won't you? Breakfast should be ready by the time you're done with the cows."

Emiline hesitated and then nodded her head. It always felt strange to get orders from Grandma Adler. But she knew that it was right to do what she was told.

In a little while, Emma brought a big pail full of frothy milk into the kitchen. Grandma had Lucy sitting on her lap at the table, and Elizabeth was already slurping down some porridge.

"Good job, Emiline!" Grandma said. "Aren't you the fastest milk maid in town! You and I are going to be a good pair today. I have a special plan."

"You do?" Emma asked.

"Yes. We're going to tidy up your mother's sewing things. And then you three girls and I are going to go out on a walk."

Elizabeth giggled and bounced around in her chair. "That sounds like fun!" she said loudly.

"Hush, my dearie," Grandma reminded her. But it was already too late. Mother woke to the sound of her daughter's excited voice.

"Goodness," Jane said with a laugh. "Haven't I been negligent this morning!" She combed a strand of hair away from her face and looked into the kitchen.

"Nonsense, dear Jane," Grandma said, "I have everything under control. Now come sit down and have some breakfast."

Grandma Adler was full of vim and vigor that morning. It shocked everyone. She was definitely more pleasant that day. But her good mood only made more work for Emiline.

I suppose this is how it will always be, Emma thought dramatically. I'll just have to get used to taking orders and working hard all day. She could see herself years into the future, gray haired and still running errands for Grandma Adler. Would her list of chores never end?

It took a long time to make Mother's sewing things look tidy. But Grandma worked with determination, folding fabrics as she taught Emiline the right way to sort buttons. She had a jar full of silver ones, another jar of brass ones, a pile of round ones, and a pile of square ones. But that wasn't all. Each type of buttons had to be sorted according to their size. None of them could mix. Emma thought it was silly of Grandma to be so particular. If she had had her choice, she would have thrown them all into one jar and stuffed the fabrics into a closet.

Sorting through the colorful fabrics, Grandma held up a piece of bright yellow cotton and draped it over Emiline's shoulders.

"Wouldn't that make a sweet dress," she said with a smile. "That sunny yellow is just what a child like you needs to make her eyes shine."